Q. Kindly explain about dry socket.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 07, 2020

I got my back right wisdom tooth removed today. How often do people get dry socket? How long until I will know I have it? Is there any way to check if the blood clot is missing?

#

As a specialist in third molar extraction, I will guide you through. See what happens not only third molar, any tooth extraction carry the risk of a dry socket. It is nothing serious just unhealed extraction site.

Upon extraction healing takes places by the blood clott that stays in the socket post extraction.That clott dislodges if rinsed vigorously by the patient , so as a precautionary measure I make sure to advice each of my patients not to rinse forcefully for atlest 24 hours and after that warm salinge gargle gently, just to remove if any food lodgement to the socket.

Symptoms of dry socket is very painful area of extraction, pain similar to the day after it was done and no such relief upon medication. Bone is visible at the extraction socket with no signs of healing. This was all about the dry socket. It is not like it a sureshot or rare thing its totally based upon how a patient manages himself 1-2 days prior extraction. Now coming to the management it is simple too. Nothing to be worried about, You will have to visit your Dentist, he/she will clean the socket to remove if any food partice and then place a gauze mixed with medication and pack the area of the socket . Due to placement of the gauze the area gets secures from further food lodgement and heals itself in 1-2 weeks to be maximum.

To ckeck, it is better you send me an image of the extraction site, I will have a look and let you know. It is better this way to avoid any confusion. I will be waiting for your response so kindly upload as soon as possible.

Medications that you got
Along with warm saline gargle 2-3 times a day to wash off if any food lodgement at the site but do it gently and not forcefully.

|