Q. Can I have dry socket even after placing bone graft in the extracted socket?

Dr. Gaurav Pandey
Published on Nov 25, 2018

I had an extraction of a molar in the morning, and a bone graft was placed over it. My surgeon placed a collagen plug over it to make the graft to stay in place. Can I have a blood clot below it? I am afraid of getting a dry socket. Last time, I had a dry socket, when I had a wisdom tooth removal, and I am scared. Please help.

#

First, remove your fear present in your mind. A bone graft present with membrane prevents dry socket formation, and it makes a better environment to have socket healing. Bone graft is not fully utilized in the socket, as it a foreign material. Some amount of graft is rejected in the body. It is a routine procedure of a defense mechanism.

In your case, you cannot see blood clots in the socket, as it is covered with a membrane. You have to wait for at least three to five days. Do not try to see it again and again. It can cause a disturbance in the normal healing process. Follow proper oral hygiene and follow all the instructions given by the surgeon. Take medications on time.

Shall I opt flap surgery and bone graft for my loose tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having severe toothache and loose teeth. I used to chew tobacco for the past 10 years. I am getting severe tooth pain often and some blister in the gums. My upper sixth tooth got loose and was removed three years ago. I have been to a local dentist and they advised deep scaling, root...  Read Full »

My Teeth Are Yellow.Is Scaling Only A Temporary Process To Clean The Teeth?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 19 years old. My teeth are yellow from childhood (from 10 years of age). A black layer is formed at the backside of teeth. When I see my teeth it seems very dirty and too much of creamy layer is formed on my teeth especially in lower canines and lower incisors. In the lower teeth...  Read Full »