Q. Can I have dry socket even after placing bone graft in the extracted socket?

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

I had an extraction of a molar in the morning, and a bone graft was placed over it. My surgeon placed a collagen plug over it to make the graft to stay in place. Can I have a blood clot below it? I am afraid of getting a dry socket. Last time, I had a dry socket, when I had a wisdom tooth removal, and I am scared. Please help.

#

First, remove your fear present in your mind. A bone graft present with membrane prevents dry socket formation, and it makes a better environment to have socket healing. Bone graft is not fully utilized in the socket, as it a foreign material. Some amount of graft is rejected in the body. It is a routine procedure of a defense mechanism.

In your case, you cannot see blood clots in the socket, as it is covered with a membrane. You have to wait for at least three to five days. Do not try to see it again and again. It can cause a disturbance in the normal healing process. Follow proper oral hygiene and follow all the instructions given by the surgeon. Take medications on time.

|