Q. Can elevated bilirubin be interrelated with my stomach discomfort?

Answered by
Dr. Anshul Varshney
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 33-year-old female and I am fairly healthy and not overweight. I have been having constant nausea and stomach discomfort for several weeks now. I occasionally get a dull ache on the right side and feel full for a long time after eating. I am very worried what this could be. I have had a normal endoscopy, normal ultrasound. My blood work was normal except for elevated bilirubin with a total of 2.7 and direct 0.4. I am hoping you can give some thoughts as to what this could be. I am scared if it is cancer or something.

The discomfort and nausea started about six weeks ago and has not been going away. Nothing I take seems to help. I am not on any medications except Swedish bitters. I have always had some stomach problems. I was taking Prilosec but I discontinued it. I had CBC, liver enzymes and pancreatic enzymes. Everything was normal except the elevated bilirubin. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your symptoms are suggestive of jaundice and your report also suggests the same.

I would need to know

  • Since when are you having all these symptoms?
  • When was this bilirubin test performed?
  • Do you have any fever?
  • How about alcohol consumption?

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thank you doctor,

No, I do not have jaundice. I have had elevated liver enzymes for years now. I am more worried about my constant nausea (every single day) and have bloated and feel full for a long time after eating. I am not as hungry because of it. My upper endoscopy was normal and there was no H. Pylori or anything. An ultrasound also was normal. I am thinking maybe I should get an MRI. What else could this be? Could I have cancer of pancreas or gallbladder or something in gastro system?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

In that case, if your bilirubin is raised for long with no apparent cause it could be viral hepatitis and alcoholic hepatitis.

I would favor the diagnosis of Dubin-Johnson syndrome or Rotor syndrome.

I would recommend a liver biopsy and total urine coproporphyrin levels.

Since your ultrasound is normal, it is unlikely to be pancreatic or gallbladder cancer.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have stomach pain when I pass stools. Please suggest a medicine.

Hello doctor,I have been suffering from a disease of the stomach for six months now ... I feel a pain in my stomach when I pass stools ...   Read full

Though my hepatitis report came negative, my urine is still red. Why?

So, my doctor prescribed me to take all hepatitis tests (A to E) and all the reports came negative ... You must have developed jaundice due to viral hepatitis ...   Read full

What does my blood reports taken for fever, sleeplessness and body pain indicate?

.. report shows increased gamma globulin level (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So your doctor might suspect plasma cell dyscrasia, especially multiple myeloma like condition. So referred you to a hematologist. But in electrophoresis...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please suggest a medicine for jaundice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old male. I am suffering from jaundice. I used to smoke and drink. But, since 15 days I have quit. Last week my eyes became yellow and after that I had my blood test and hepatitis test. I am uploading the report. Please suggest me medicine and further diet plan.  Read Full »

Can you please confirm my friend's diagnosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a general practitioner. I would like to consult with you regarding my friend, who has a normochromic normocytic anemia. His hemoglobin is currently 7.5. His diagnosis is not clear. I have all his laboratory data and bone marrow biopsy as well as aspiration if you want. He used to tak...  Read Full »

I have stomach pain and darker stool. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male, and have stomach pain for around a week (mostly after eating). The pain starts in epigastric regions, and then to lower abdomen. I started noticing changing stool color to more darker stool. There is no diarrhea or vomiting, no fever. I am taking Omeprazole fo...  Read Full »

Also Read

Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»
I am suffering from dry and scaly scalp. Is that scalp psoriasis?
Hello doctor, I am suffering from dry, scaly patches on the scalp for the last six to eight months. Since childhood, I h...  Read more»
Birth Control Methods - Facts, and Types
Devices or treatments done to prevent unwanted pregnancy are called birth control methods.In this article, I am going to...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.