Q. Can elevated bilirubin be interrelated with my stomach discomfort?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

I am a 33-year-old female and I am fairly healthy and not overweight. I have been having constant nausea and stomach discomfort for several weeks now. I occasionally get a dull ache on the right side and feel full for a long time after eating. I am very worried what this could be. I have had a normal endoscopy, normal ultrasound. My blood work was normal except for elevated bilirubin with a total of 2.7 and direct 0.4. I am hoping you can give some thoughts as to what this could be. I am scared if it is cancer or something.

The discomfort and nausea started about six weeks ago and has not been going away. Nothing I take seems to help. I am not on any medications except Swedish bitters. I have always had some stomach problems. I was taking Prilosec but I discontinued it. I had CBC, liver enzymes and pancreatic enzymes. Everything was normal except the elevated bilirubin. Please help.

#

Your symptoms are suggestive of jaundice and your report also suggests the same.

I would need to know

• Since when are you having all these symptoms?
  • When was this bilirubin test performed?
  • Do you have any fever?
  • How about alcohol consumption?

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

No, I do not have jaundice. I have had elevated liver enzymes for years now. I am more worried about my constant nausea (every single day) and have bloated and feel full for a long time after eating. I am not as hungry because of it. My upper endoscopy was normal and there was no H. Pylori or anything. An ultrasound also was normal. I am thinking maybe I should get an MRI. What else could this be? Could I have cancer of pancreas or gallbladder or something in gastro system?

#

In that case, if your bilirubin is raised for long with no apparent cause it could be viral hepatitis and alcoholic hepatitis.

I would favor the diagnosis of Dubin-Johnson syndrome or Rotor syndrome.

I would recommend a liver biopsy and total urine coproporphyrin levels.

Since your ultrasound is normal, it is unlikely to be pancreatic or gallbladder cancer.

|