Q. I am under treatment for allergic rhinitis and asthma and still have breathing trouble. Please help.

Dr. Jebin Abraham

I am diagnosed with allergic rhinitis and bronchial asthma for the past seven years. I recently visited my doctor. He prescribed Rhinoset Nasal Spray (night), Formoflo 100 mcg (twice a day), and Levomer 5 mg tablet (night). I have a cold now, and I am struggling a little to breathe. I had done a pulmonary function test and taken an X-ray a year ago, which was completely fine. Is there any medication that can be taken along with these medications to ease my breathing trouble?

#

Of course, you can take other medicines to improve your condition. Can you share (if you have) your old reports? Have you ever done an allergy test?

Do you have eosinophilia? I need to see these things. Please revert with the details so that I can guide you further. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply.

I am attaching my old pulmonary function test reports. I took this test recently, but I missed the report. But it was the same as in the previous case. My doctor said that I have eosinophilia. I am also attaching my recent prescription. Thank you.

#

I have seen your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). But I am unable to understand the content of your nasal spray. Can you please clarify? I suggest you Allercet DC (Cetirizine and Phenylephrine) tablet at bedtime instead of Levomer (Levocetirizine) for seven days (for now). I think you have a short episode of illness now. Usually, for the prolonged disease, we do an allergy skin prick test to find the cause of the allergy to treat accordingly or advise specific measures to avoid exposure. It is a beneficial approach. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply.

The content of my nasal spray is Fluticasone Furoate. Kindly suggest to me some medication along with my prescription. I want to ease my breathing. Thanks.

#

I suggest you Xylomist (Xylometazoline) nasal spray thrice daily. Use only when needed. Do not continue for more than five days. Thank you.

|