Q. I am suffering from ear pain for the last two days, which increases while eating. Please help.

Dr. Radhika Shukla
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 05, 2021

I am 32 years old and I have ear pain for the past two days. I have pain around the ear and it increases while eating. Please help.

#

Pain in the ears can occur due to an infection affecting the external part of the ear called otitis externa and it causes pain while moving the pinna. The pain can also occur due to infection affecting the parotid gland called parotitis and the pain increases while eating. Pain affecting the temporomandibular joint can also cause pain in the ears. Swelling in the temporomandibular joint causes pain when eating and it heals by taking analgesics and by resting the jaw. Tooth pain due to infection on that side can cause pain in the ears. Please mention whether you used earbuds on the ears recently, does the pain increases when moving the ears or pressing the ears, any discharge from the ear, any hearing loss or ear fullness, does the jaw makes a clicking sound, and any carious tooth.

I always use earbuds on the ears daily. I have pain in the ear while moving or pressing. I do not have discharge. I have pain while applying pressure on the ears. My jaws do not make a sound. Now, I did not use earbuds recently and I have a clicking sound in the jaws. I do not have a carious tooth.

#

Clicking sound from the jaws occurs due to temporomandibular spasm. It can occur due to otitis externa and it is an infection affecting the external ear. You can have pain while moving the ear or when pressing the tragus. It indicates that you may have otitis externa. You can take tablet Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid) two times a day for five days, tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) once in the morning before breakfast for five days, tablet Myospaz Forte (Chlorzoxazone, Diclofenac and Paracetamol) two times a day for five days and Ciprofloxacin ear drops three drops for three times a day for five days.

|