Q. Is it safe for my 4-month-old baby to be around my mom, who was diagnosed with sialadenitis?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2021

My mother was diagnosed with sialadenitis by my doctor without testing. Her cheek is swollen without much discomfort. She has a slight sore throat. Is it safe to have my four-month-old baby around her?

#

If there is swelling in the cheeks, then there is a high possibility for your mother to have viral parotitis. Swelling in the ipsilateral parotid gland occurs. It is considered as viral cause as it presents with dull aching pain without any other major symptoms unlike a bacterial infection, where the patient remains toxic with high fever and malaise. This problem is self-limiting and takes around a week to subside. Good hydration has to be maintained. Saltwater gargling can be done eight to ten times daily. There is no need to take antibiotics as they do not have any role to play in this condition. It is necessary to keep the child away from the patient as this condition is contagious. Infants have low immunity and it is better to avoid keeping close to her. Nutrition and water intake have to be well maintained and everything will become normal soon.

|