Q. Is it safe for my 4-month-old baby to be around my mom, who was diagnosed with sialadenitis?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 02, 2020

My mother was diagnosed with Sialadenitis from her doctor without testing. Mothers cheek is swollen. Not to much discomfort. Little sore throat. Is it safe for my 4 month old to be around her.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Hi!

Thanks for providing a quick history regarding the problem in concern.

If there is swelling in the cheeks, then there is a high possibility that there is viral parotitis. It is due to this region that there is swelling in the ipsilateral parotid gland. I am considering a viral cause as it usually presents as a dull aching pain with no other major symptoms unlike a bacterial infection, where the patient is toxic having high fever and malaise.

This problem is self limiting and usually takes a weeks time to subside. Make sure a good hydration is maintained. Salt water gargles @8to10times a day will take care of the sore throat. There is no requirement of antibiotics in such a scenario as they have no role to play as the cause most likely viral in her case.

It is essential to keep the infant away from the patient as this is contagious and considering the infant has a low immunity, its always better not to take a chance. Make sure nutrition and water intake is well maintained and in a weeks time, thing should go back to normal.

There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about and things will fine in a weeks time. I hope this answers your query. If there is anything more that you need to know or enquire, please do let us know and we will get back to you ASAP. Warm regards.

|