Q. My husband has ear and jaw pain after cleaning his ears using cotton buds. Please help.

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2021

My husband was cleaning his ears with cotton buds before four days. I think that he has hit something inside the ears and after that, he started to have pain. After a while, he was normal. But today, he has pain there and took Mefenamic acid to reduce the pain. He does not have a fever. But he feels that his ears and part of his jaws hurt a lot.

#

As per history, it seems that your husband is suffering from otitis externa. It occurs due to inflammation of the external auditory canal (EAC). It occurs due to trauma. You can confirm it by pressing the tragus and you can feel the pain. Your husband can take tablet Paracetamol 500 mg with Ibuprofen 400 mg one tablet three times a day for two days while having severe pain. He can use ear drop Occupol D3 (Chloramphenicol, Dexamethasone, and Polymyxin B 5000 IU) three drops three times a day for five days. He can use ointment Supirocin B plus (Mupirocin and Beclometasone) locally over the EAC three times a day for five days. If the pain does not subside, then it has to be treated by taking antibiotics. If there is hearing loss or bleeding, then it is good to consult an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist for doing an otoscopic examination. Prevent having entry of water inside the ears.

|