Otitis Externa

How to stop my ear pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old female, suffering from ear pain. The doctor confirmed that it is due to some virus and there is a small hole in my ear. Some tablets and Otobiotic drops were given. Still, it did not cure my pain. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome in icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You are probably suffering from CSOM (chronic suppurative otitis media) with otitis externa. My advice is to consult your ENT doctor for thorough examination of the ear and necessary investigations to know the real pathology for planing fina...  Read Full »

How to use ear drops effectively to get rid of swimmer's ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had swimmer's ear for about five days now. And I started taking an anti-inflammatory ear drop with a pain killer. On the second day, I felt my ear got a little swollen, and the ear way was blocked. I could not hear anything, and by the third day, I went to the pharmacy, and h...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common entity that we daily come across. There are two possibilities in your case: recurrent fungal infection called otomycosis and recurrent infection of the hair follicle in the...  Read Full »

I suffer from ear pain after I tried to remove ear wax. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms and history of ear cleaning, it is suggestive of otitis externa with ear wax. Do not worry too much. It is a soft tissue infection of your ear canal most probably due to finger nail trauma. You need to take some medication and precautions and it ...  Read Full »

Why do I have ear pain for months with drainage down the throat and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a deep ear pain on and off for months with a feeling of drainage going down my throat. Before few years, I had a eustachian tube dysfunction with pain, pressure, and hearing loss. I have them on and off for the past few years. Right now, I have a low-grade fever for the past six...  Read Full »

Dr. Bruce Hudkins

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have a low-grade otitis externa. You can take Clotrimazole 1% drops. Use it twice a day for seven days. If you are unable to pop your ears, then you do not have a eustachian tube dysfunction. But if you are able to pop your ears, then you can start using...  Read Full »

What could be the problem, and how might I resolve ear pain?

Query: Hi, I have ETD in my left ear. I used Debrox and the water syringe to clean the wax because my ears felt clogged. Within a few hours, I developed excruciating ear pain in my left ear. I immediately went to the urgent care to see if I had an infection, and they said I do not have any infection. They...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, you might be having otitis externa as you give the history of ear manipulation, or it can also be an early stage of acute otitis media. To confirm otitis externa, you can press your tragus. If it is painful, then the most likely diagnosis is ...  Read Full »

Can cotton buds result in severe ear pain?

Query: Hi doctor,My husband was cleaning his ears with cotton buds before four days. I think that he has hit something inside the ears and after that, he started to have pain. After a while, he was normal. But today, he has pain there and took Mefenamic acid to reduce the pain. He does not have a fever. Bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per history, it seems that your husband is suffering from otitis externa. It occurs due to inflammation of the external auditory canal (EAC). It occurs due to trauma. You can confirm it by pressing the tragus and you can feel the pain. Your husband can take table...  Read Full »

How is an ear infection treated?

Query: Hi doctor,I have an ear infection in the left ear after two days when I started taking medications for it. My right ear started to have the same pain as my left ears. I am taking Ibuprofen 800 mg along with Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone otic suspension for five days now. On a scale of one to ten, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Radhika Shukla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you have otitis externa. It is an infection affecting the outer ear. It is the part of the ear that you clean with buds. The cause is trauma and breach of the outermost layer of the skin causes the bacteria to enter the ear resulting in infection. It is pa...  Read Full »

Why is my left ear swollen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41-year-old female with a weight of 180 lbs. My left ear is swollen for the past three days, and I can hardly hear. I took Amoxiclav for two days and ear drops for inflammation, and Mefenamic for pain.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to inform you that the ear consists of the pinna, external auditory canal, middle ear, and inner ear. It depends on which part of your outer ear is swollen. First, you do not touch the swollen area and prevent the entry of water inside your ear. According to ...  Read Full »

Inspite of trying ear drops and home remedy, my ear pain is increasing. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an aorta aneurysm removed four weeks ago. While in the hospital and rehabilitation, I complained of my ear hurting. I often collect ear wax, so I thought that was the problem. Now that I am home and have a CNA and therapist helping me get stronger, the ear pain is the only pa...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely that you have developed otitis externa following wax removal. Syringing often leaves some moisture in the ear and this provides an ideal medium for fungi to grow in. Do you have pain while touching your tragus or moving your pinna? If you have severe pai...  Read Full »

How can I get rid of swimmer's ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have swimmers ear and I do not know how to get rid of it and now my ears hurt extremely bad.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com If you have diffuse otitis externa then you must rule out malignant otitis externa. If you are immunocompromised or a diabetic you need to worry about the same. It will be prudent to get a culture sensitivity swab of the discharge from the ear whenever you have the condi...  Read Full »