Otitis Externa

How is an ear infection treated?

Query: Hi doctor,I have an ear infection in the left ear after two days when I started taking medications for it. My right ear started to have the same pain as my left ears. I am taking Ibuprofen 800 mg along with Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone otic suspension for five days now. On a scale of one to ten, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Radhika Shukla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you have otitis externa. It is an infection affecting the outer ear. It is the part of the ear that you clean with buds. The cause is trauma and breach of the outermost layer of the skin causes the bacteria to enter the ear resulting in infection. It is pa...  Read Full »

Why is my left ear swollen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41-year-old female with a weight of 180 lbs. My left ear is swollen for the past three days, and I can hardly hear. I took Amoxiclav for two days and ear drops for inflammation, and Mefenamic for pain.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to inform you that the ear consists of the pinna, external auditory canal, middle ear, and inner ear. It depends on which part of your outer ear is swollen. First, you do not touch the swollen area and prevent the entry of water inside your ear. According to ...  Read Full »

Can cotton buds result in severe ear pain?

Query: Hello. I hope you can help. My husband was cleaning his ears using cotton buds 4 days ago, He thinks he hit something inside that cause him too much pain. After a while, he felt normal. But today, he feels so much pain and he had to take Mefenamic to kill or at least lessen the pain. He doesnt have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq, As per your history it seems your husband might be suffering from otitis externa. Otitis externa is the inflammation of the external auditory canal(EAC). Most common cause: Trauma To confirm :press the tragus : there will be pain Treatment 1)Tab Paracetamol 500m...  Read Full »

What could be the problem, and how might I resolve ear pain?

Query: Hi, I have ETD in my left ear. I used debrox and the water syringe to clean wax because my ears felt clogged. Within a few hours I developed excruciating ear pain in my left ear. I immediately went to the urgent care to see if I had an infection and they said I didn't. They prescribed ear drops in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq, As per your history you might be having Otitis externa as you give the history ear manipulation or it can also be early stage of acute otitis media. To confirm otitis externa you can press your tragus, if it is painful then most likely diagnosis is otitis externa. Treat...  Read Full »

Why do I have ear pain for months with drainage down the throat and fever?

Query: I have been having deep ear pain on and off for months now with the feeling of drainage going DOWN my throat from my ear. No drainage to the outside whatsoever. A few years ago I had eustacian tube Dysfunction with all of the pain, pressure, hearing loss, etc. this is NOT that. It’s been going...  Read Full »

Dr. Bruce Hudkins

Answer: Hello, I would consider a low grade otitis externa as a possible source of some of your symptoms...Consider clotrimazole 1% DROPS---this can be ordered online, as it is hard to find in pharmacies sometimes...use twice a day X 7 days. If this doesn't help, then get back with me. In the meantime, if ...  Read Full »

Inspite of trying ear drops and home remedy, my ear pain is increasing. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an aorta aneurysm removed four weeks ago. While in the hospital and rehabilitation, I complained of my ear hurting. I often collect ear wax, so I thought that was the problem. Now that I am home and have a CNA and therapist helping me get stronger, the ear pain is the only pa...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely that you have developed otitis externa following wax removal. Syringing often leaves some moisture in the ear and this provides an ideal medium for fungi to grow in. Do you have pain while touching your tragus or moving your pinna? If you have severe pai...  Read Full »

How can I get rid of swimmer's ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have swimmers ear and I do not know how to get rid of it and now my ears hurt extremely bad.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com If you have diffuse otitis externa then you must rule out malignant otitis externa. If you are immunocompromised or a diabetic you need to worry about the same. It will be prudent to get a culture sensitivity swab of the discharge from the ear whenever you have the condi...  Read Full »

Why is there severe pain and hearing loss after ear pricking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from severe ear pain in my left ear. Today is the third day and I cannot hear properly. It resulted due to pricking my ear.  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading what your complaints are, I think two possibilities are there which can lead to the symptoms you are perceiving. It could be that you already had an underlying infection of the middle ear which can lead to an earache and pricking was incidental or that fid...  Read Full »

Why is there pain in my ear even after using ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a mild ear infection. I went to see a doctor as the ear started draining clear fluid. The doctor said the draining was only on the outside of the ear. She prescribed Ciprodex ear drops. I am on the second day of taking them and I just woke up in the middle of the night with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Narayanrao Rathod

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, it is not so, as you have an infection in the outer part of the ear. It is called as otitis externa. In this condition, there will be a severe aching pain in the outer ear. The cause of otitis externa may be due to a humid environment, any micro-injuries, or any ...  Read Full »

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Regarding your ear pain, it is most likely what is called otitis externa which is an infection of the outer canal of the ear most likely fungal. Wet ear is the most common cause also called swimmer's ear. The most appropriate management: ...  Read Full »