iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOtolaryngology (E.N.T)ear perforationWhat foods to avoid during ear problem?

What foods to avoid during ear problem?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 7, 2018
Reviewed AtJanuary 31, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 21-year-old. I have had a problem with pus discharge from my right ear right from childhood. I have been told that there is a perforation, and it needs to be closed by surgery. Recently, I had severe pain as well, along with the pus. The usage of buds to clean was the reason for the pain which caused an earache (cartilage inflammation, I guess). I went to the doctor and have taken the medication. I do not have pain anymore. I am using tablets and eardrops to reduce the pus discharge right now. My major concern is about what foods I need to avoid any pus or ear problem. Is it right that I need to avoid eating ice creams, anything that is cold, and sweets, cakes, especially can I have chocolate cake? Please do tell me clearly what I need to avoid strictly and what I can have.

Answered by Dr. Mehak Agarwal


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The perforation has to be closed using tympanoplasty surgery. Otherwise, the perforation may become unsafe with loss of ossicles, and more complex surgeries may be required for its correction. Chances are there for the development of cholesteatoma, which can invade and destroy bone and spread to surrounding structures like the brain. What you should be worried about is not what food you should eat or avoid but about the permanent solution to this problem. If, however, you want to know what food to avoid, avoid all those that can cause an upper respiratory tract infection, as the infection can trigger an ear infection and cause recurrent ear discharge. For more details on the surgery and how to go about it, do write back to us. If you have done any tests, please attach all the reports and previous treatment records.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

ear perforationtympanoplasty

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy