Ear Perforation

Ear perforation is a ruptured eardrum, which occurs when a hole is created in the tissue that separates the ear canal from the middle ear. It causes hearing loss and makes the middle ear prone to infections. In some cases, it gets healed by itself, and in others, it has to be repaired surgically.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My eardrum got perforated due to earbud trauma. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, My eardrum got perforated due to earbud trauma. According to the ENT, no treatment is requred except precaution (water should not go inside) to avoid infection. Some kind of low noise 'hush' comes in my ear with a little hearing issue (20 % lesser than my other ear). What to do and how...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, he is right. Since it is a perforation by a clean mode, that is by earbuds, even antibiotics drops are not required at this moment. Just care to be taken to avoid infection, which most commonly occurs by water entering into the ear. Tympanic membrane injuries h...  Read Full »

When I try to unclog my ear, there is an air passing sound. Please suggest medicine.

Query: Hello doctor, I got a slap on my ear and then I also got a bump in my head. After that, when I try to unclog my ear, it gives me an air passing sound and there is a hearing loss also. Please suggest a medicine.  Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

I have loss of balance after my ears were pulled. Please suggest medicines.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 now. My school teacher pulled both my ears in my childhood and afterwards, I suffered a loss of balance sometimes. I have pain in both my ears and also blurring in both my eyes and fatigue. I think I have mild vertigo. Please suggest the best medicines to cure this mild vertigo...  Read Full »

Dr. Narasimharaju. B. G

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Giddiness following pulling of the ear is uncommon. Are you sure you have giddiness from childhood after your teacher pulled your ears? You may probably be suffering from BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). We need to get a Dix-Hallpike test done to confirm...  Read Full »

How can the ringing in my ears be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had ringing in my ears for two or three months. My doctor said it was an ear infection in both ears. I had two courses of Augmentin, but it did not¬†improve. I had to change my doctor for some reason. The new doctor gave me Soframycin ear drops but when I went back to her for fo...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from tinnitus which is nothing but a ringing sensation in the ears. There are various causes for tinnitus and the most common among them are a sensorineural hearing loss, Eustachian tube dysfunction, otosclerosis, ossicular discontinuity wher...  Read Full »

The ear drops went in excess inside my child's ears as I did not use the dropper properly. Will he have hearing loss after this?

Query: Hello doctor,I took my 3-year-old child to the doctor as he had an ear infection and a small hole in the eardrum. They prescribed ear drops. I did not use the dropper properly, and a lot of medicine went into his ear. I got a lot out by turning him and using a tissue. I have read that this antibioti...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay B K

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not worry because I know you are apprehensive about your child's hearing. The drugs which cause hearing loss are called ototoxic drugs. Many of them affect the hair cells of your inner ear. Sofradex contains Framycetin, which is an aminoglycoside antibiotic. ...  Read Full »

Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is in a care home and is experiencing very loud tinnitus. She is becoming very stressed and anxious as this has been going on for months. We have asked her GP to help but it does not seem that anything can be done. She has had her ears cleared but this has not helped either. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does she have any ear discharge too? What medicines has she been taking for hypertension?   Read Full »

How can I manage my ear perforation due to a fall?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my ear perforated due to falling into the water quickly. The doctor decided to treat a potential infection and prescribed Tarivid otic drops, tablet Augmentin 1 mg, and tablet Xyzal 5 mg so I do not have an allergy, so I will not take the antihistamine, and I want to avoid oral a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can use Ofloxacin (Fluoroquinolone) drops only as a beginning. You can use it in the dose of 2 drops four times daily. Keep your perforated ear dry all the time, away from water. From when do you have this perforation? Thank you.  Read Full »

How to aid healing of ear perforation?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a perforated right ear for more than two years. I do not want surgery. Also antibiotics did not work. What are the best steps to be taken?  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An ear perforation (ruptured eardrum) can be safe or unsafe. An unsafe perforation has to be operated otherwise life is in danger. A safe perforation can be left unoperated and yet tried to achieve closure. If small perforation then body can heal it and close i...  Read Full »

What is the reason for tinnitus in my ear?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, my ENT doctor suctioned a lot of fungus from my right ear and it fixed the problem. However, high pitched ear ringing continues to be a problem without any pain. It is more of a pulsating feeling and that synchronizes with my heart rate when I am in the prone position. My h...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from otomycosis also known as swimmer's ear. It is the fungal infection of the external ear. The symptoms include itching, ear discharge, ear pain, ear fullness, temporary hearing loss and tinnitus. Although most individuals will get immediate r...  Read Full »

Please suggest Clotrimazole drops for ear.

Query: Hello doctor,Can I get Clotrimazole ear drops without alcohol? My doctor prescribed me Canesten ear drops since he suspects a fungal infection, but the drops hurt like hell since they contain alcohol. Do you think there is another brand that can be used with perforated ear drum?  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar. M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you Candid ear drops (Clotrimazole), which has Lignocaine combination and that reduces the pain. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent. For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> h...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.