Ear Perforation

How to stop ringing sound due to a tear in the ear from inserting an earbud?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a thin hole in the membrane of the left ear. It happened due to putting an earbud in my ears. It has got torn now and I am getting a ringing sound in my ear. What to do to stop hearing this sound in my ear?   Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You would have injured the eardrum while cleaning. This is a very common thing to happen and do not be worried. The defect in the eardrum interferes with the optimum sound transmission from the middle and inner ear and so you start to have some symptoms such as cont...  Read Full »

How to treat my respiratory tract infection presenting with an ear infection and perforated eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, I was recently diagnosed with ear infection and a perforated eardrum. Initially, I was diagnosed with a viral respiratory infection and followed by ear infection in a two days. I have been taking antibiotics for three days now. I have a lot of fluid continuing to seep from my ear. How lon...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears with your history that you are suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection that has complicated into an ear infection. Usually, once the antibiotic course starts, the problem should resolve within three to four days and completely by five to sev...  Read Full »

Can otomycosis spread to the middle ear through perforated eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor,Currently, I have otomycosis in my right ear and it perforated my eardrum before 10 days. Currently, I have symptoms of conductive hearing loss, tinnitus, and ear pain. It seems to be improving and it is sporadic now. I do not have any drainage from my middle ear with strange popping noise...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the concern, you do not need to take oral antifungals as it is improving. You can use Candibiotic ear drops (Lidocaine, Beclomethasone, Clotrimazole and Chloramphenicol) as they will be more effective in treating otomycosis and congestion of the tympanic memb...  Read Full »

How long does a ruptured eardrum take to heal?

Query: Hi doctor,For the past two weeks, I have a weird sensation in my left ear. Initially, it was hearing less but now it got started to happen more frequently for the past two days and I have fluttering sounds. I went to the urgent care and I was diagnosed with a ruptured eardrum. Now, I am using drops ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having left ear tympanic perforation and so you will feel the discomfort. Most of the tympanic perforation will get healed spontaneously. It is good to avoid putting anything in the ears because it can lead to an ear infection. As you do not have a decrease ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for my unpleasant feeling with earplug while swimming?

Query: Hi doctor, Could I have a little bit of advice about my ears? I have been swimming casually for years, head-above-water (attempting to keep ears dry but some water inevitably splashes in with no issues). I recently managed to get some earplugs to work though so I could start to swim underwater, but...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attachments (attachments removed to protect patient identity). As far as your left ear is concerned, I do see a lot of chalky deposits over the eardrum what we call as myringosclerosis. This would have happened as part of healing post-surgery. As you ...  Read Full »

How to treat a hole in the tympanic membrane?

Query: My ear tympanic membrane was damage or whole due to slaped my brother. Now what medicine i have to take for healing my ear drum or tympanic membrane. My age -24, sex-female,weight-55, hieght-5.6 inch  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! There is a high probability that you would have accidentally injured the ear drum due to trauna. This is a very common thing to happen and you don't have worry too much. The defect in the ear drum interferes with optimum sound transmission to the middle and inner ear and thereby you will have...  Read Full »

Is it possible that my middle ear bones get dislocated after some days of ear injury?

Query: Hi doctor, I fell down and hit my right ear three months ago. The doctor said that I did not rupture my eardrum. Recently, I went for an audiometric test just to be sure, and the hearing test result is good for all frequencies. So does that mean that my ear is fine? Will I have a delayed onset o...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about regarding the hearing or after effects of the fall. If the doctor who has examined you confirmed that there has been no rupture in the eardrum, there is a very little or rare possibility that the middle ear ossic...  Read Full »

Why is some gum-like fluid coming out of my ear?

Query: Hi doctor, Some gum-like fluid is coming out of my ear. I have this problem for almost two years now. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have been having ear discharge for two years, then most probably the ear perforation is a permanent one and you would require a surgery to close it and give you a dry ear. Also, chances are there that you do not have a perforation and just infection of the ear c...  Read Full »

Why do I have some discomfort after using a Q-tip?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was using Q-tips to clean my ears, I slipped and I may have gone a little too deep with one. I felt a little discomfort in my ear. That was three days ago and I still feel a little weird in that area. Could I have ruptured or punctured my eardrum? Is it important to go to an ear...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As reported there are high chances that you might have ruptured your tympanic membrane. Did your ear bleed after using Q-tip? If yes, then there are high chances of perforation in your ear. Please consult an ENT doctor as soon as possible. For further information consult ...  Read Full »

Will injury and pain due to slap cause phonophobia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have semi acute pain in my left ear due to someone slapped in my ear while ragging last year. I did not visit a doctor because I feel uncomfortable about discussing this issue. But nowadays I feel a sound that is like when water enters our ear. Now, I have feared of phonophobia. P...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might have developed an eardrum hole i.e. perforation since the eardrum is a very delicate structure and cannot tolerate a high volume and high impact gush of air. In such a circumstance, you will definitely have symptoms such as ringing sensations, feeling of air ...  Read Full »