Ear Perforation

What is the reason for my unpleasant feeling with earplug while swimming?

Query: Hi doctor, Could I have a little bit of advice about my ears? I have been swimming casually for years, head-above-water (attempting to keep ears dry but some water inevitably splashes in with no issues). I recently managed to get some earplugs to work though so I could start to swim underwater, but...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attachments (attachments removed to protect patient identity). As far as your left ear is concerned, I do see a lot of chalky deposits over the eardrum what we call as myringosclerosis. This would have happened as part of healing post-surgery. As you have ...  Read Full »

Is it possible that my middle ear bones get dislocated after some days of ear injury?

Query: Hi doctor, I fell down and hit my right ear three months ago. The doctor said that I did not rupture my eardrum. Recently, I went for an audiometric test just to be sure, and the hearing test result is good for all frequencies. So does that mean that my ear is fine? Will I have a delayed onset o...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about regarding the hearing or after effects of the fall. If the doctor who has examined you confirmed that there has been no rupture in the eardrum, there is a very little or rare possibility that the middle ear ossic...  Read Full »

Why is some gum-like fluid coming out of my ear?

Query: Hi doctor, Some gum-like fluid is coming out of my ear. I have this problem for almost two years now. Please help.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have been having ear discharge for two years, then most probably the ear perforation is a permanent one and you would require a surgery to close it and give you a dry ear. Also, chances are there that you do not have a perforation and just infection of the ear c...  Read Full »

How to stop ringing sound due to a tear in the ear from inserting an earbud?

Query: In my left ear a thin hole in the membrane because of the putting ear bud in the ear it has been teared now, i am getting a ringing sound in my ear. what shall i do stop the sound in my ear  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! There is a high probability that you would have accidentally injured the ear drum while cleaning. This is a very common thing to happen and you don't have worry too much. The defect in the ear drum interferes with optimum sound transmission to the middle and inner ear and thereby you will have ...  Read Full »

Why do I have some discomfort after using a Q-tip?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was using Q-tips to clean my ears, I slipped and I may have gone a little too deep with one. I felt a little discomfort in my ear. That was three days ago and I still feel a little weird in that area. Could I have ruptured or punctured my eardrum? Is it important to go to an ear...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As reported there are high chances that you might have ruptured your tympanic membrane. Did your ear bleed after using Q-tip? If yes, then there are high chances of perforation in your ear. Please consult an ENT doctor as soon as possible. For further information consult ...  Read Full »

Will injury and pain due to slap cause phonophobia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have semi acute pain in my left ear due to someone slapped in my ear while ragging last year. I did not visit a doctor because I feel uncomfortable about discussing this issue. But nowadays I feel a sound that is like when water enters our ear. Now, I have feared of phonophobia. P...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might have developed an eardrum hole i.e. perforation since the eardrum is a very delicate structure and cannot tolerate a high volume and high impact gush of air. In such a circumstance, you will definitely have symptoms such as ringing sensations, feeling of air ...  Read Full »

How to know whether q-tip perforated the eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, I have stuck a q tip in my ear because it was itching and I think I may have burst my eardrum. I have some pictures.  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pictures are not completely clear but I cannot see any perforation. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). When did the cotton piece stuck inside your ear? Did you notice any blood drops on the cotton piece after getting it out from your ear? Do you ...  Read Full »

Is it recommended to use hearing aid for ear perforation rather than surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 11 years old with a tube in her left ear and a perforation in her right ear. The doctor does not want to fix the perforated ear until the tube falls out of the left ear and is healthy for a year. In the meantime, it is suggested that a hearing aid be used until the pe...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We shall do the ear perforation surgery only when we are sure that eustachian tube ventilation to the middle ear is normal and not hampered by any reason. The functioning of the eustachian tube is indicated by the successful falling off of the ventilation tube (the g...  Read Full »

How to aid healing of ear perforation?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a perforated right ear for more than two years. I do not want surgery. Also antibiotics did not work. What are the best steps to be taken?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An ear perforation (ruptured eardrum) can be safe or unsafe. An unsafe perforation has to be operated otherwise life is in danger. A safe perforation can be left unoperated and yet tried to achieve closure. If small perforation then body can heal it and close it if free o...  Read Full »

What does partially sclerosed mastoid air cells mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old male. I have perforated right ear for the past 20 years and get discharges on various occasions and treated every time. But I have no discharges for the last three years. As a routine checkup, I am asked for a CT scan and the findings are as follows: 1) Right -si...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have right-sided chronic otitis media which is a common type of chronic middle ear infection. It is common to have recurrent ear discharge in this condition because of the perforated eardrum. Since your ear is dry for three years you need not worry much. As far as...  Read Full »