Q. Please explain my echo report taken for heart failure.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I need help reading the results of my echo a few months back. I am just not receiving the results. I had a baby a few months back and then was back in the hospital a week later with pnemounia. During my visit back in the hosiptal with pnemounia, the doctors said my blood work kept coming back saying I had heart failure.

#

Your hearts' left ventricle is a bit weak (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It has a mild dysfunction. This occurs sometimes during the last month of pregnancy or five months after delivery. Many times this condition reverts to normal or almost normal within six months. I advise you to repeat the echo to know the current status of the heart. This condition is called peripartum cardiomyopathy. I hope you are taking medicines. Please follow up with the history of your condition, your symptoms, any previous illness and medicines you are taking for the heart so that I may guide you better and prescribe medicines and workup.

Weak heart.

Echo repeat, ECG.

Peripartum cardiomyopathy.

|