Q. How to fix dry and cracked bleeding skin on hands?

Dr. V Srikanth Reddy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 17, 2020

For about two years, I have constant problems with my hand skin. There are spots on my hand, where my skin gets extremely dry to the point where it peels, sometimes even cracks and bleeds. It regenerates quite quickly, even deeper wounds heal in three to five days.

I consulted several dermatologists, here is what I was able to confirm so far:

It is not a fungal or bacterial infection, it may be a blood vessel problem. Smoking tobacco seems to make symptoms more severe (more peeling and cracking), the problem occurs only in few places on my hands mainly index fingers and right thumb (please see attached photo). Cream with urea content seems to give the best effects. Barrier creams did not help, diet does not seem to have a noticeable impact on my condition. Silica, Q10 and collagen supplementation did not help. Sometimes, when my condition gets a little better and there is no dried, peeled of skin on my hands, small red dots are visible just under the skin. One of the doctors mentioned, they look like burst blood vessels. They are visible in one of the attached photos. Please suggest.

Dr. V Srikanth Reddy

Dermatology Venereology
#

From the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it is looking like hyperkeratotic eczema over palms. It is a kind of dermatitis and not related with any blood vessels. It can aggravate during winter seasons.

Treatment includes judicious use of moisturizers and along with mild potent steroid in case of any erythema.

Apply Moisturex cream on the whole palms twice to thrice daily. Apply Halovate (Habbetasol Propionate) cream, apply only on the erythematous or fissured areas if any, daily night for one month.

|