Q. I am suffering from eczema of cheeks. Are there any side effects in using Corticosteroid?

Dr. Meha Malhotra
Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 06, 2018

I have eczema. There is redness in my cheeks. I have used Corticosteroid cream for six days. Are there any side effects in using it?

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Corticosteroids should never be applied without a doctor's advise. Also, there are certain steroids which should never be applied on the face.

If you could send me photos and details, I will be able to give you proper suggestions. Till then, do not use anything on your own. It does more harm than good.

Consult a dermatologist online for further treatment --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

How can I stop hair loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been experiencing a patch of hair loss and it is getting bigger. I had two but the one is gone now. I am very proud of my hair and this makes me emotional.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is alopecia areata, and the patch on your backside of the scalp is ophiasis, a subtype of alopecia areata. It is thought to be an autoimmune disease in which hair loss is in the form of patches but comes back itself as you have told. Meanwhile, you can apply topica...  Read Full

Can I take Deflazacort and Hydroxyzine HCl for hives during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, The dermatologist has said that I have urticaria (hives) and prescribed Deflazacort 6 mg and Hydroxyzine HCl, but I am 28 weeks pregnant. Can I take those medicines? Suspecting it is chickenpox. The itching started 10 days ago, rashes started five days ago. Appears to be small red bumps ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Deflazacort is corticosteroids and can be used as per need but can interact with diabetic medications and will act as an anti-inflammatory and can give side effects like weight gain, mood variations, vomitings, etc. Hydroxyzine is antihistamine and can be used but bette...  Read Full

Had a sudden onset of AIHA. Please explain the relapse with AIHA.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. I had a sudden onset of AIHA. At first, I had no response to steroid therapy, and after a week, I came back to normal. I want to know about the relapse with AIHA.  Read Full >>

Dr. Girish C Kamat
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Approximately 80 % of patients respond to corticosteroids at a dose equivalent to Prednisolone 60 to 100 mg per day and nearly two-thirds achieve complete remission (CR). The initial response takes several weeks. But an absence of a response for 21 days is considered as...  Read Full