Q. I have severe eczema on face, neck, and shoulders. What should I do to manage it?

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

I have some questions regarding allergy.

When I was a kid, I had eczema on my mid-arms. Then it went away. Some years ago, when I was around 22, it came back aggressively on my face, neck, and shoulders. Then I was referred to blood food allergy tests (IgE). A lot of allergens was detected (wheat, melons, peach, cucumber, potato, parsley, carrot, etc). I did avoid those foods.

After seven years, I wanted to test it again, and unfortunately, the test showed the same results, more allergies (coconut, plum, chestnut, buckwheat - things I eat regularly.) I also did the FABER test and had a lot of red lines. The doctor told me that none of those tests are 100 % sure and I should test all foods. But I am very afraid of the anaphylaxis reaction.

I am now afraid to eat coconut, chestnut, etc., which I did regularly eat before not to have the severe reaction (not had one earlier though). I wanted to ask if the most severe reaction can develop for any food? Even for meals that I do regularly eat and have no problems with. Please help me.

#

1. Yes, some food can cause urticaria and rarely angioedema like peanut and seafood allergies.

2. But, there is no significance of the test you have mentioned, as that is a very nonspecific kind of test and most of the people who get themselves tested found themselves allergic to hundreds of things like that. Hence, it is not significant.

3. And you have been eating them all regularly before, so I do not see any reason to stop them now.

|