Q. What does my EKG report taken for fast heart beat during rest show?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
Published on Dec 24, 2018

I am a female, 28 years old. I do not smoke or play sports or have alcohol. I have BP borderline (130/85) at rest, I suffer from tachycardia at rest. I often have ventricular extrasystoles, frequent bigeminy, and couples of VT. My heart is mad and begins to beat very fast and loud at rest without exercise with chest pain. When I was a child I got echocardiography done that diagnosed a mild mitral regurgitation but I never have done other exams. I got EKG done some days ago, the heartbeat is very very fast at rest. I would like to have an opinion on my EKG, what is it showing?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

Your EKG shows sinus tachycardia and probably left ventricular hypertrophy (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As you said you had mild valvular leakage, there might be some other problem as well. Therefore I advise you to have echocardiography done. If your heart rate is high at almost all the times then also have ambulatory EKG (Holter monitoring) done for 24 hours. Sometimes this tachycardia is due to anxiety, pain, anemia, infection, and hyperthyroidism. So, ruling out these entities is a must. Followup after having done the advised tests within 10 days, so you can be guided better and proper.

Anxiety, anemia, hyperthyroidism, pain, infection.

CBC, TSH, echo, 24 hours Holter monitoring, ESR.

Tablet Atenolol 50 mg daily (only after having Holter monitoring done and ruling out other causes of fast heart rate).

My heart beats faster when I rest. When I am active, no issues. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,When I am under rest, my heart beats faster than normal. Nearly, it beats around 90 and above. I could not sleep at night. When I am active no issues. I am not able to breathe normally when lying. Please provide any suggestions.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having a condition called sinus tachycardia which means your heartbeat is faster than normal but do not have arrhythmia. The reason is sympathetic overdrive which means you are more anxious than other people. I suggest taking tablet Metocard XL (Metoprolol)...  Read Full

For the last six months I am having fast heart rates. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor,The last six months I have been experiencing fast heart rates. Just by walking my heart goes 130 to 150. I have no symptoms at all, no dizziness, no shortness of breath, no tiredness. Even by sneezing my heart goes at 150. I do not even know it till I check my pulse or put my hand in my...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears you are suffering from what is known as inappropriate sinus tachycardia. Of course, we have to see the ECG during palpitations to confirm that. I would also suggest a thyroid function test to rule out thyroid disease. It is good to exercise daily as that itse...  Read Full

EKG for shortness of breath showed QTc 470. Do I have a prolonged QT?

Query: Hello doctor,I went to the ER for shortness of breath. I suffer from panic disorder and hypochondria. My doctor did an EKG and released me and told me it was benign. I saw my QTc was 470. Is this correct? She told me there was a benign ST elevation. I am so nervous. Please help me. Is this EKG norma...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, it is not a long QT (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Manually, QTc fine. There are S waves in lateral leads suggestive of some conduction delay and early stages of RBBB (right bundle branch block), which can also be seen normally in some individu...  Read Full