Q. I hit my elbow and now have swelling and pain. How to make it better?

Dr. Ramesh C G
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 20 years old, female. I hit my elbow at work the night before last, and it hurts to straighten my arm. I can do it, but it is painful. And randomly, I suddenly have shooting pain in my arm. It is swollen, and there is a small lump where I hit it. I also fractured my elbow in the same place when I was a child. I do not know what to do to make it better. But I am having trouble sleeping and I have to go to work tomorrow, and I need to be able to work without pain.

#

From your history, it looks like a blunt injury with a hematoma at the site of injury.

I suggest getting an X-ray of the elbow to rule out a fresh fracture. If there is no fracture, then use an arm pouch and keep the elbow at 90 degrees flexion in the arm pouch for three weeks.

I also suggest taking Chymoral forte (Chymotrypsin and Trypsin - enzymes to breakdown hematoma and swelling) and analgesics like Tramadol-Paracetamol combination for acute pain. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Give cold compression at the site of injury and swelling.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

I have pain in right chest that goes through the armpit down to elbow. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old young professional. For the last three months, I have been having this sudden pain in the right chest that would go through my armpit down to my elbow. It would be so painful that I cannot move until the pain subsides. I have a sedentary lifestyle. So, it could not ...  Read Full »

I have a hard bump on my eyebrow after a fall. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I had a fall before four days and hit my eye. I have a lump on my eyebrow, and that is not going down or getting better. It is hard and painful.  Read Full »

What causes double vision after an accident?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 16 years old. She met with an accident and got an injury on her face. It was operated by a maxillofacial surgeon. The upper portion of the right eye is red. She can open her eye, but she is having double vision. What to do?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now