Q. I hit my elbow and now have swelling and pain. How to make it better?

Dr. Ramesh C G
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 20 years old, female. I hit my elbow at work the night before last, and it hurts to straighten my arm. I can do it, but it is painful. And randomly, I suddenly have shooting pain in my arm. It is swollen, and there is a small lump where I hit it. I also fractured my elbow in the same place when I was a child. I do not know what to do to make it better. But I am having trouble sleeping and I have to go to work tomorrow, and I need to be able to work without pain.

#

From your history, it looks like a blunt injury with a hematoma at the site of injury.

I suggest getting an X-ray of the elbow to rule out a fresh fracture. If there is no fracture, then use an arm pouch and keep the elbow at 90 degrees flexion in the arm pouch for three weeks.

I also suggest taking Chymoral forte (Chymotrypsin and Trypsin - enzymes to breakdown hematoma and swelling) and analgesics like Tramadol-Paracetamol combination for acute pain. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Give cold compression at the site of injury and swelling.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|