Q. Do I need to take medicines for elevated bilirubin?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
Published on Sep 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My bilirubin levels are high. I just took an opinion from my general physician and he asked me to contact a gastroenterologist to know the exact reason for high bilirubin. Can you suggest any other tests or medication for this? I have also attached my laboratory reports for your reference.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

• You have elevated unconjugated bilirubin and elevated total bilirubin (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But, your liver enzymes AST (aspartate transaminase) and ALT (alanine transaminase) are within normal limit.
  • Bilirubin level increases due to many reasons. If you have any kind of obstruction to bile duct, then total bilirubin and conjugated bilirubin will be elevated.
  • If the production of bilirubin in liver is high, then total bilirubin and unconjugated bilirubin will be high as in your case.
  • Formation of bilirubin is directly depends on the amount of red blood cell and hemoglobin level as the breakdown of hemoglobin may form bilirubin. This is a natural process and elevation of 0.5 to 0.7 levels of bilirubin is not significant.
  • Liver enzymes are within normal range and are considered as normal functioning of liver tissue.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

Do I need to take any medication? Please suggest me on this.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

#

• I do not think that you might require medications for this. Repeat your liver function tests after 15 or 20 days.
  • Also, get one ultrasonography of the abdomen for status of liver and spleen. I think this is sufficient as per your reports.
  • Please consult a medical gastroenterologist in person to get yourself examined.

| 

We are not sure about my friend's diagnosis. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a general practitioner. I would like to consult with you regarding my friend, who has a normochromic normocytic anemia. His hemoglobin is currently 7.5. His diagnosis is not clear. I have all his laboratory data and bone marrow biopsy as well as aspiration if you want. He used to tak...  Read Full »

Why does alcohol make me itch?

Query: Hi doctor, Whenever I drink alcohol, I am getting itchy in my scalp, face and behind the ears. What could the reason? Please explain.  Read Full »

Kindly interpret the blood reports taken for fever, sleeplessness and body pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing this letter for my mother-in-law. She is 65 years old and seems to be healthy. Recently she was suffering ill (fever, sleepless at night, body pain, etc.) thus visited a doctor (physician). After a physical examination and studying certain blood tests (that he was suggest...  Read Full »