According to the reports, do I need an immediate liver CT scan?

Q. According to the reports, do I need an immediate liver CT scan?

Answered by
Dr. Kagathara Happy Kumar Devkaranbhai
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2023

Hi doctor,

I am a 46 year old male. I had gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago. Earlier, I was 540 lbs and now, my weight is 300 lbs. About 5 years ago, I started drinking hard alcohol (Vodka) weekly. As of three weeks ago, I started getting a tight, bloated, tingly sensation from my chest down to my pelvic area. There is no real pain. It just feels as if there is a wide band wrapped around me and numbness. It almost feels as I may be collecting fluid in my abdomen and thighs. I also have burning and tingling sensation that runs down my inner legs from my thighs to my ankles. Some days, it is better than others. I feel fatigue and it is a bit hard for me to get out of a chair due to being weak at times. I do have energy though to perform daily activities once I am up.

I stopped drinking two weeks ago. I eat daily. There is no nausea, vomiting, bleeding, spider veins or yellowing of skin and eyes, I have normal bowel movements and there is no blood in stool. The stool color is normal. I do not feel hallucinations or loss of memory. My urine is dark yellow or brown and cloudy at times. I am a bit pale, but I have always been that way. I sleep regularly and have not lost any weight on the scale. But, I feel my muscle may have been replaced with fat.

I went to a GI specialist and he just thinks it is malnutrition issues due to my gastric bypass. My GI specialist ordered blood work and it indicates that I have some liver issues based on my research. Is there a way to determine the stage my liver health based on the laboratory reports below and the symptoms? Is it an emergency that I go to the hospital right away? Do I need to get a CT scan of liver immediately? The flags on my laboratory reports are, RBC 3.64 (low - ref 4.14 - 5.80), MCV 108 (high - ref 79 - 97), MCH 38.2 (high - ref 26.6 - 33.0), RDW 16.3 (high - ref 12.3 - 15.4), serum creatinine 0.56 (low - ref 0.76 - 1.27), serum chloride 94 (low - ref 97 - 106) serum calcium 8.4 (low - ref 8.7 - 10.2), total bilirubin 9.5 (high - ref 0 - 1.2), serum alkaline phosphatase 241 (high - ref 39 - 117), AST 196 (high - ref 0 - 40), ALT 61 (high - ref 0 - 44) and vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 4.4 (low - ref 30.0 - 100.00). I also attached the full laboratory report. I started Vitamin B12 injections last week, Vitamin D3 drops, B1 and B complex supplements to hopefully help raise my low D3. Thank you.



Welcome to

I can understand your concern towards your abnormal laboratory values.

  • Yes, you need a CT scan of the liver. Even, I suggest consulting your GI doctor for hospitalization.
  • Your symptoms of tingling sensation and numbness are due to vitamin deficiencies. As you started taking vitamin supplements, these symptoms would recover in the next few days.
  • Your symptom of burning pain from chest to abdomen might be due to alcohol associated gastritis, which requires prompt treatment as you had a history of gastric bypass.
  • As your liver tests are very abnormal, you require prompt supportive treatment and further evaluation also. You must undergo CT scan. Primarily, it might be associated with alcohol induced hepatitis. But, your history of drinking vodka since many years may produce chronic changes in the liver (cirrhosis).
  • Acute damage to the liver due to alcohol is hepatitis, which is recoverable by medical treatment (might require steroid). The chronic damage (cirrhosis) is irreversible and medical treatment would only relieve symptoms and cure can be achieved by liver transplantation only.
  • It is not a proper time to give you advice on treatment without confirming diagnosis. But, based on the severity of liver dysfunction and need of further evaluation I strictly recommend you to consult a surgical gastroenterologist as soon as possible.

The Probable causes:


Investigations to be done:

CT scan abdomen and coagulation profile.

Differential diagnosis:

Cirrhosis of liver.

Probable diagnosis:

Alcohol induced hepatitis.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Does erythematous gastritis result in stomach cancer issues in future?

.. is simply inflammation of stomach that can occur due to excessive stress, faulty lifestyle, alcohol, and painkiller abuse. Now following are your answers: It is not serious. You just need treatment for long duration.   Read full

What are the cons of lowering the legal drinking age?

Alcohol destroys the liver and if we keep a low legal age allowed for drinking, definitely more and more alcoholic hepatitis patients will appear in population ...   Read full

Is Quinine safe in liver cirrhosis patient with low platelets?

Hello doctor,My husband has an advanced stage liver cirrhosis and gets muscle cramps in legs from time to time, at night time or when he wakes up in the morning ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.