Q. Will emergency contraceptive pills work when taken during withdrawal bleeding?

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr
Published on Jun 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2019

1. I took ECP during withdrawal bleeding (as I stopped contraceptives). Will it work?

2. Will this affect my menstrual cycle as I have not got my periods in my due date. I am freaking out.

3. When should I go for pregnancy test to clear my doubt?

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

1. Usually the possibility of ovulation is less during withdrawal bleeding, so the need for emergency contraception is less. But as you took the pill already, if at all there is any possibility of pregnancy, it can help.

2. Because of high dose of hormone in it, it can affect your periods. Sometimes after taking emergency contraceptive pill, you may see withdrawal bleeding after 7 to 10 days.

3. For accurate result better to test three weeks after having unprotected intercourse.

| 

What is withdrawal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, Emergency contraception is 95% effective means is there some chance of getting pregnant? What more precautions could be taken during sex so that there will be full surety about it? After taking it, will the periods be painful? In what way will it alter periods? Will it change the numb...  Read Full »

Can Ovral G be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old. My period was a month back. It sustained for four days. I generally use 3 to 4 pads in my periods. I had sex 10 days later. On the very next day, I had two Ovral G at around 9 AM and there after 12 hours again two Ovral G tablets. I noticed my period 12 days later, ...  Read Full »

After taking ECP, I am bleeding. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my periods on the 15th of last month, and I had sex on 25th. I took emergency contraceptive pills on the 26th. I am bleeding today. Am I pregnant?  Read Full »