iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologyemergency contraceptive pillI took ECP during withdrawal bleeding. Will it work?

Will emergency contraceptive pills work when taken during withdrawal bleeding?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Nithila. A

Published At June 16, 2019
Reviewed AtDecember 4, 2023

Patient's Query

1. I took ECP during withdrawal bleeding (as I stopped contraceptives). Will it work?

2. Will this affect my menstrual cycle as I have not got my periods in my due date. I am freaking out.

3. When should I go for pregnancy test to clear my doubt?

Usually the possibility of ovulation is less during withdrawal bleeding, so the need for emergency contraception is less. But as you took the pill already, if at all there is any possibility of pregnancy, it can help. As it has a high dose of hormone in it, it can affect your periods. Sometimes after taking emergency contraceptive pill, you may see withdrawal bleeding after 7 to 10 days. For accurate result better to test three weeks after having unprotected intercourse.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

default Img
Dr. Sree Gouri. S. R

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy