Q. I am having symptomless large tonsil, it does not bother unless I look at it. Kindly guide.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2020

I have one larger tonsil and there are no symptoms. It does not bother me unless I look at it.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

One-sided enlarged tonsil is not a good thing to have. Usually, when both sides are enlarged, it would mean an infection or chronic infections over tonsils and pharynx. Unilateral enlargement needs to be investigated to rule out a tumor or abnormal growth. If you were to show to me, I would go for a tonsillectomy surgery where I remove both side tonsils and send them separately for biopsy (histopathological examination). That will give us a final report on what exactly it is.

| 

What are the chances of tumor? I have this as long as I can remember.

#

Considering the long-standing history of the enlargement without any symptom and your age and assuming you do not use tobacco in any form, the chances of malignancy or cancer is less. But there are some chances of it being a benign tumor. But this being a unilateral enlargement it is best removed and biopsied.

|