Tonsils

What could be the purple area under the tonsils?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed some purple and black areas underneath my tonsils far down my throat. Are they veins? Or is it normal? I coughed hard and noticed these after. I am not sure if I am noticing. I do get reflux and trouble swallowing sometimes. I have my tonsils intact. They are small. I a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I see that you are normal. That blue area is just veins. The prominent red arteries are because of severe cough and recurrent reflux. Continue Lansoprazole and avoid cold and spicy foods. ...  Read Full »

What causes chronic tonsil swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, My tonsils have been swollen for almost an entire month. I have had two normal appointments for it and I am scheduled for a visit with an ENT doctor after four days. Today, my throat pain is more than it has been in the past few days and my left tonsil is significantly bigger than my righ...  Read Full »

Dr. Eriol Braholli

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is obvious that your tonsil infection is not gone. Perhaps, it has been more complicated now since pain and fever is up and lymphadenopathy is shown. Retro or peritonsillar abscesses are the complications of untreated tonsillitis that may require specific treat...  Read Full »

Why am I having lump on tonsil for three years?

Query: Hello doctor, Lump on tonsil for the past three years. Full left ear feeling. Been to ENT twice.  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like a mucocele or cyst (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Do you have any throat complaints? Throat pain? Do you smoke?  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment for tonsil problem other than surgery.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 16-year-old male. I have tonsils. What is the treatment for it without surgery? Homeopathy is required.  Read Full »

Dr. Theresa M. Gregory

Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am guessing you are having repeated episodes of tonsillitis, where you have been given antibiotics. Maybe your doctor has suggested surgery. There are some effective Homeopathic remedies for tonsillitis. You can take: 1. Baryta Carbonica, 6x dosage, if you have...  Read Full »

What are the flesh-colored bumps on my tonsil?

Query: Hi doctor, I have two yellowish tint flesh colored bumps are connected on my tonsil. They form an alphabet "B" if you look at the side of them. They do not hurt and it is smooth with no irritation. I have had allergies and stuffiness for months now. I am really scared of HPV. I am a hypochondriac. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details you have given me your throat seems to be normal. The tonsils are seen very clearly in the picture you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Do you have any other complaint anywhere else? HPV - human papilloma virus generally form papill...  Read Full »

Is it normal for one tonsil to be bigger than the other?

Query: Hello doctor, My 12 year old has one tonsil larger than the other, but no other symptoms.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unilateral enlargement of tonsil is an indication for removal surgically and histopathological examination of the removed specimen. However, before I would categorically suggest that, I would like to see a picture of the tonsils. If the child can open the mouth widely ...  Read Full »

Can tonsil stones cause an altered sense of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell di...  Read Full »

Why does my throat hurt after singing?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a new singer. Last week, I sang a lengthy song without warm up. In the evening, I had severe throat pain. I gave voice rest, but still I have some sensitivity in my throat. I feel quite tired always. Is this because of vocal strain? I also have tonsils. My throat feels uncomfortable...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

Allergy Specialist, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from vocal strain and a mild throat infection. You always feel tired due to this infection. Whenever you suffer from any throat infection, it causes a strain on your voice. As you also sang without any warm up, your throat could not handle ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a constant feeling of hair in throat?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from a bad health anxiety. For the past few months, I feel like there is a hair at the back of my throat and it gets worse at night. My ear also pains and I can feel three pea-sized lumps on the right side of my neck. I got cold twice a couple of months back and I am taking Om...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can tell you the following. You have pharyngitis, and your tonsils are inflamed. The foreign body sensation in the throat is due to a post-nasal drip. Do you have any nasal congestion?...  Read Full »

Why are the tonsils swollen and have white spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. I have symptoms of swollen tonsils with white spots and bumps on my throat. I went to the urgent care almost two weeks ago, and after running streptococcus and mononucleosis test, they told me that it was more likely viral tonsillitis. I am not experiencing much pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading your symptoms and looking at your photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggesting of chronic pharyngitis with chronic tonsillitis. The whitish spots over your tonsils are the food particles that clogged within the tonsillar c...  Read Full »