Q. Is it necessary to be on epilepsy medication when it is ruining one's life?

Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 14, 2022

My partner was diagnosed with epilepsy seven years ago. Since then, she has had three convulsive seizures but has not had any in the past five years. She is 21 and currently on 100 mg of Epilim day and night. She had an EEG three months ago which resulted in abnormal brain activity but no current epilepsy. This medication is affecting her emotionally and physically to the point she has now got anxiety and on the verge of depression. She was on Lamictal for two years but that did the same thing. Is there really a need for her to be on the medication anymore as it is ruining her life?

#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

Regarding your question, is there really a need for her to be on the medication anymore as it is ruining her life, we need to do MRI Brain (plain and contrast) with MRA, MRV, MRS and whole spine screening and EEG. If both are normal, the drugs can be tapered and withdrawn. If there is an abnormality, then we need drugs till these are normal.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

For more information consult a neurologist online.

|