Q. I have a small hard bump on my gum after a tooth extraction. What to do?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Dec 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I am 23 weeks pregnant. I had my lower right molar extracted almost two weeks ago and I have noticed a small hard bump on my gum where the tooth was removed. It is causing irritation and it is causing my gum to become sore again. My gum was swollen up until four or five days ago. The tooth that was removed was extremely infected and had caused my gums to become swollen as well. The bump has been there since the tooth was removed and has not changed in size or discomfort level.

#

• I have gone through your query and from your description, I think the gingival enlargement is what is known as epulis commonly called as pregnancy epulis. There is no need to worry.
  • Pregnancy epulis is an enlargement of the facial surface of the gingiva and is mainly formed by the capillary vessels and endothelial tissue.
  • If it is not very irritating, you can leave it as such and after the parturition (childbirth), it will resolve on its own.
  • In case it is irritating, you can visit a dentist and he will excise it and will put you on an antibiotic regimen for the prevention of further infection.
  • The pregnancy epulis is because of increase in the progesterone and estrogen in the body of a pregnant lady that results in many types of changes in the body. This condition may develop in some ladies and is not present in the mouth of every pregnant lady. So, do not panic.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I have pain and bleeding after molar tooth extraction. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Is it normal for a dentist to not prescribe anything for pain after having a broken molar extracted, and three roots pulled out? My tooth was extracted yesterday, still bleeding heavily. I had fever through the day.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most dentists will offer pain medications if the procedure can reasonably be expected to cause pain that cannot be managed by OTC medication. In your case, I wonder why he has not prescribed any because extracting a third molar root can be a little difficult and the pa...  Read Full