Q. After wisdom tooth extraction, when should I remove the gauze piece to avoid dry socket?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

I got my wisdom tooth extracted. It has been 10 hours since the tooth had been take out. How long should I keep my gauze in? I have read articles on recovery, and it says a lot of reference to "dry socket," which I am trying to avoid.

#

The gauze piece can be generally removed after one to two hours, provided everything is normal. Otherwise, you can change the gauze piece, along with the medication on it, and you can put fresh cotton. I do not know what your dentist had suggested to you. But I would suggest you can remove it, eat ice cream or cold beverages but do not sip. Sipping can apply force on your extraction site.

Do warm water and salt rinse after 24 hours. Do not rinse too harshly just put little pressure. Do not eat or drink anything hot or hard or spicy for 48 hours. I hope this helps.

| 

I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place...  Read Full »

Why are the gums swollen and painful at the wisdom tooth extraction site?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19-year-old female. I had my wisdom teeth taken out about four days ago, and now the gum behind where the wisdom tooth used to be is very swollen and causing pain.  Read Full »