Q. After wisdom tooth extraction, when should I remove the gauze piece to avoid dry socket?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

I got my wisdom tooth extracted. It has been 10 hours since the tooth had been take out. How long should I keep my gauze in? I have read articles on recovery, and it says a lot of reference to "dry socket," which I am trying to avoid.

#

The gauze piece can be generally removed after one to two hours, provided everything is normal. Otherwise, you can change the gauze piece, along with the medication on it, and you can put fresh cotton. I do not know what your dentist had suggested to you. But I would suggest you can remove it, eat ice cream or cold beverages but do not sip. Sipping can apply force on your extraction site.

Do warm water and salt rinse after 24 hours. Do not rinse too harshly just put little pressure. Do not eat or drink anything hot or hard or spicy for 48 hours. I hope this helps.

|