Q. I have swollen gums near the extraction site. Please help.

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by the swollen gum. It is bubble shaped and deep red or white. Most of my pain has subsided but this localized area hurts severely and has gotten progressively worse. I have continued with salt water rinses and the medicated rinse the dentist gave me. All of the other sites seem to be healing just fine. Should I be concerned about infection? It feels like my molar is cutting into this piece of gum and it is a sharp burning pain that is radiating. No fever, is helped by pain medication but pain resumes immediately when the medication wears off.

#

I checked your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity), clinically it is a sign of mild gum infection. Now you can do the following steps to overcome this problem:

1. Take Metronidazole 400 mg twice a day for three days, Augmentin 625 mg twice a day for three days and keep taking Ibuprofen 600 mg twice a day to arrest infection.

2. Keep doing saline water mouthrinses at least 6 to 8 times a day. Take a sterile syringe pinch that bubble a bit, let it bleed fresh. (If possible do it by yourself till three days once in a day, if not possible, go to the dentist, he will do it for you) and then wash it with saline water. You can wash this area with pressure with a syringe. Take saline in a syringe and wash this area with full pressure several times, food may be stuck at the back that may cause this infection, syringe pressure may wash it through.

Hopefully, this will get better after doing these steps in a week. Keep doing rinses 5 to 7 times a day till next two weeks. Do give me follow up after three days. Take care.

|