Q. My wife has swollen gums with pain in wisdom tooth area. Please suggest solution.

Dr. Pallavi Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 16, 2020

My wife is having toothache and swollen and inflamed gums for four days. This is due to wisdom teeth. Currently, she is taking Cataflam 50 mg two tablets in 24 hours for the past two days for pain relief.

Her age is 36 years and her weight is 56 kg. She does not have any past medical history. Currently, we feel visiting the dentist should be avoided. Please advise for medication.

#

The proper treatment of wisdom tooth is extraction as wisdom tooth is not able to perform its function of chewing because it is present in the most posterior position of our oral cavity. So it is of no use in saving it by RCT (root canal treatment) and crown and wasting money and time in it. So it is better to go for extraction after lockdown overs and kindly visit a dentist who is taking all the sterilization measures with PPE (personal protective equipment) kit.

Until that time, do saline and warm water gargle three to four times a day for seven days. Take hot pack from outside the mouth and apply it on the affected cheek area to reduce the swelling twice a day for seven days. Take tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg BD for five days, Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Serratiopeptidase, and Paracetamol) BD for five days, Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) OD before food in the morning, and capsule Becosule OD.

In case of severe pain take tablet Ketorol - DT (two tablets dissolve in a glass of water).

|