Q. I have some nodules under the skin with pain while touching. What is the problem?

and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 24, 2021

I am a 37-year-old female with a weight of 65 kilograms and a height of five feet five inches. I saw some nodules under my skin with pain while touching. I have a hard mass under my skin and it spreads to different parts of the body. I started to have this issue four years back. My blood test shows WBC of 3300 WBC per microliter, RBC of 2.8 million cells/mcL, and ESR of 100 mm/hr. All my other parameters are normal. I have a fever every afternoon along with joint pain. I am physically weak and I have a weight loss of 8 kilograms. I also have varicose vein pain. My stomach remains full even when I take little food. When I eat more, I have vomiting. I have done two bone marrow biopsies, two skin biopsies, lymph node biopsy, lip biopsy, ultrasound scan, many TB tests, nerve tests, and SPECT CT scan. There is no malignancy. All my results are negative. My doctor gave me medicines for TB for two weeks. But it did not help me. I am not taking any other medications. I could not find the cause. Some doctor say me that this is panniculitis. Kindly suggest.

#

Thank you for sharing your reports and providing a detailed history. I have not seen your lesions visually. But your condition strongly favors erythema nodosum. Your fatigue occurs due to vitamin D and B12 deficiency. You can start taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg daily. You can also take vitamin D 50,000 IU once a week. I do not know whether you have any issues in your abdomen. But erythema nodosum has an association with Crohn's disease.

|