Q. Food gets stuck in my throat. What could it be?

Dr. Noushif M
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

For over four years, I have had problems swallowing my food. I get the sensation that the food is stuck in my throat.Usually, it clears when I drink water and it pushes the food. Without water, I feel like I am choking up to maybe half hour with intense pain in my throat and upper abdomen. There is also burning in my stomach. I have a history of bulimia and I threw up every day for over a year and multiple times a week for the last four years. I am on Wellbutrin, Naltrexone, and Nexium as needed. I get stomach acid coming up to my throat almost every day with or without eating. What could it be? 

#

• You need to get an endoscopy done to rule out any motility disorder of the esophagus, the food pipe, as your food gets stuck while entering the stomach. There is a possibility of food stasis in the esophagus. This is most likely possible with your description.
  • An X-ray with barium swallow test is also needed. Chew your food well before you swallow and eat slowly.
  • Consider short frequent feeds rather than stomach full feeds. Have little water in between.
  • Please consult a gastroenterologist for a detailed evaluation.

Hope your queries have been cleared.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|