Q. How can I treat the pain a little left under my Adam's apple?

Dr. Manu Wilfred

There is pain under Adam's apple a little to the left. I have a history of acid reflux. There is a pain in the throat with acid reflux. I did see an ENT about two years ago. Everything was fine except for swollen vocal cords due to the acid reflux. I also had thyroid studies and blood work about two years ago and all were fine.

I take Omeprazole twice daily and Linzess. I do miss a dose here and there and I am not regularly though. I have had some pain in the jaw around the area of lymph nodes. There is no apparent swelling. Please help.

#

Gastroesophageal reflux disease typically presents with heartburn and regurgitation. Extraesophageal symptoms include a sore throat, hoarse voice, feeling of food stuck in the throat, chest pain etc.

Upon examination of the throat, the finding of swollen vocal cords raises suspicion of reflux laryngitis. This itself can cause pain below Adam's apple.

The reflux is diagnosed by means of upper gastrointestinal scope and esophageal manometry.

A 24-hour pH (potential of hydrogen) monitoring test is a criterion for a surgical intervention.

An empiric therapy with proton pump inhibitor like Omeprazole is usually started for reflux. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

For complete remission of the disease in six months, treatment is advised.

Lifestyle modifications such as losing weight, avoiding alcohol, chocolate, citrus juice, tomato-based products, peppermint, coffee, onion, need to wait for three hours aftër a meal to lie down, elevating head on the bed by 8 inches also help.

For more information consult an ENT Otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|