Q. How can acute anxiety symptoms due to fear of exams be managed?

I have acute anxiety symptoms due to my fear of exams. Currently very underprepared, it is impossible to pass but still my parents are stressing me to give exams even when they know I fear underperformance and not knowing something on an exam. At this stage, I cannot even read words properly in books because of anxiety, short breath and really fast heartbeat. My parents are angry with me on my behavior. I myself feel guilty because I could not study even in given time even after knowing the fact. It is like something took over my head. Whatever I plan for I just could not do it. All the lists. All are incomplete.

I do not understand the reason for this. My mind is extremely imaginative and is always wandering instead of doing what should be done. Please help me, since I am a student who would have to give exams for years and years this problem aggravates more and more everytime.

#

Fear of exams and fear of poor performance results in anxiety and this anxiety is resulting in distraction which cause poor concentration in exams and poor focus. This further deteriorates the performance and you feel bad due to exams. This is a vicious cycle and you have to break it. Try to remain relaxed during exams and your performance anxiety will go. Start taking supplements containing Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Vitamin B12 and the anxiety will decrease.

If anxiety symptoms persists then drugs like Beta-blockers can be used prior to exams and these drugs will reduce the autonomic anxiety symptoms and you will feel better. Propranolol can be used on SOS basis prior to exams and your anxiety will decrease. Talk to a doctor for this drug.

| 

Everything You Should Know About Sleep Positions and Directions

Article Overview: Did you know that your sleeping position and direction can affect the quality of sleep? To know more, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Sleep Medicine Physician

Sleeping towards the east or west direction helps to get undisturbed sleep, as the blood circulation is believed to improve in these directions. A good night’s sleep is essential to improve concentration and reduce stress. It is very important as humans spend one-third of their life sleeping, ...  Read Article

How can I avoid getting fear during exam?

Query: Hello doctor, I am very much anxious about my upcoming exam. This is my second drop. Last year because of my fear I ended up doing mistakes in the questions which I knew very well and just after coming out of the exam center I was able to answer all of them. This year too I am more fearful. I am ve...  Read Full »

I am not able to focus on studies because of my thoughts. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a student and I like to watch cartoons a lot and read comics. I want to study but I am not able to focus and put my mind to study. Whenever I plan on studying, my thoughts are filled with events of comics. How can I put these thoughts out of my mind?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»