Q. Is there any way to avoid fear during exams?

Dr. Vandana Patidar
Published on Feb 13, 2019

I am very much anxious about my upcoming exam. This is my second drop. Last year because of my fear I ended up doing mistakes in the questions which I knew very well and just after coming out of the exam center I was able to answer all of them. This year too I am more fearful. I am very afraid as I do not want to take another drop and want to live my dream. Please help me out.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sleep Medicine
#

You seem to be suffering from some anxiety disorder. Detailed exploration of the problem is needed. Do not let this thing ruin your career. I would recommend you to go to a local psychiatrist and get some help. Meanwhile, you can try these things. Deep breathing exercise, as many times as possible. Yoga, meditation. Sleep and wake up at the right time. Positive self-talk, motivate yourself. You can try Propranolol 20 mg sustained-release tablets before going to the exam, to control your anxiety but it would be best if you consult a psychiatrist before that.

Claustrophobia: Fear of Confined Spaces

Article Overview: Are you afraid of being unable to escape from a small room or space? It is a type of anxiety disorder, which can be effectively managed and treated over time. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Psychologist Counsellor

Claustrophobia is a fear of any small and closed area. Someone with claustrophobia experiences anxiety triggered due to irrational thoughts of being confined in a small enclosed space with no alternate escape route. Symptoms Feeling anxious in enclosed spaces. Avoiding the elevator and taking t...  Read Article

I am scared of dentists, but I need to get fillings. How to proceed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am terrified of dentists and needles. My front tooth is decaying. Please check the photo. There is a hole in the back and black marks on the front. Also, I need fillings to other teeth. Kindly advise me.  Read Full »

I have fear of talking with people due to my difficult childhood. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45-year-old male, the youngest of my other five siblings. All through my childhood years up to the age of 20, my parents and other four of my siblings were exposed to a very angry behavior of my elder brother, the oldest of my siblings. The age gap between him and me is 15 years d...  Read Full »