Q. The tooth nearby the extracted site is hurting and feels like going to fall or crack. What to do?

Dr. Tooba Qazi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I had a tooth removed a while back, and the tooth next to it feels lower down, and I get toothache every so often my dentist said there is nothing wrong, but I feel it is going to fall out or crack and I have pain when I bite down. I cannot eat the rest off my teeth without really biting down, and when I do it hurts and feels like it is pushing my tooth back up, I cannot even bite down gentle without it hurting.

Do you have a question on Extraction Site Infection or Cracked Tooth?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Tooba Qazi

BDS
Dentistry

There might be following conditions involved in your case,

1. The tooth you got extracted would be a bit higher and functioning before extraction, that would be used in your bite and the second tooth would be malaligned and a bit lower in height. Once it got extracted now the second lower tooth is only there for a bite and chewing function all chewing load is shifted to it, so it started hurting, and it is not easy for you to eat from this side.

2. There could be an infection or a hairline fracture or split in this tooth that needs to be diagnosed through X-ray and some clinical examinations. Addressing your first condition, the treatment could be a prosthesis. You need a bridge that can adjust your bite and level down the chewing forces to all teeth equally and your generalized aching will be resolved. While for your second type of condition, the tooth will be treated according to diagnosis. If the infection is there, then root canal treatment is required along with the cap. If there is a bite fracture, then extraction is recommended.

Kindly provide me with X-rays so I can suggest you the appropriate treatment. I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask if you have further queries.

Also Read Answers From: Extraction Site Infection Cracked Tooth

I fell and cracked my fron tooth. The crack is not evident, but the tooth is sensitive. What to do?
Query: Hello doctor,Three days ago, I fell on my face and cracked my right front tooth right in the middle, horizontally. You cannot see the crack with your bare eyes, but if you shine a light from the back of my tooth, you will see it correctly. It goes from the right to the left, and it stops two millime...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is one of the most common complaints in routine dental practice. The fracture (hairline crack) might be only in the superficial structure (more likely in enamel than in dentin) of the tooth and not in the pulp (since it does not hurt). It requires minimal attentio...  Read Full

What causes bad breath after wisdom teeth removal?
Query: Hello doctor, I got my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. I am not in much pain but I have a horrible taste in my mouth and my breath is horrible. I have brushed my teeth twice a day, I use a salt water rinse like 15 times a day. And I use an alcohol-free mouth wash. I cannot tell if I have an infection ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you do not have pain or fever or any other major symptoms, there is nothing much to freak about. Coming on to the bad taste and bad odor, it could be due to any deposits in the socket or anywhere else in the mouth. Even a dry mouth can cause it. But if you feel i...  Read Full

My gum is tender from an extraction done two weeks ago. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I got my first molar removed nearly two weeks ago.  It is healing, but I notice a yellowish color inside and my gum around the area is a little swollen. I am not in so much pain. But, it is definitely tender and I just have a slight pain in that area. It was a difficult tooth extract...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, there seems to be a sharp, bony edge there. You need to consult the dentist and get an X-ray done. I suggest you get an osteoplasty done, where the sharp edges would be smoothened. If you do not get the bony spicule smoothened, it will still heal,...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now