Q. I have bad taste in mouth after wisdom tooth removal. Is it infection or dry socket?

Dr. Divya Banu M

I got my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. I am not in much pain but I have a horrible taste in my mouth and my breath is horrible. I have brushed my teeth twice a day, I use a salt water rinse like 15 times a day. And I use an alcohol-free mouth wash. I cannot tell if I have an infection or a dry socket and I am freaking out. The sockets look like they still have the clot but it is white, not red.

Do you have a question on Wisdom Tooth Extraction or Bad Breath?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Divya Banu M

BDS
Dentistry

Since you do not have pain or fever or any other major symptoms, there is nothing much to freak about.

Coming on to the bad taste and bad odor, it could be due to any deposits in the socket or anywhere else in the mouth. Even a dry mouth can cause it. But if you feel it is really extreme, you can visit your dentist who will irrigate the socket and also find out the reason after a clinical examination.

If it is a dry socket, by any chance, a sedative dressing will be given. Usually, dry socket gives these symptoms but along with severe pain by second to the third day of tooth removal.

Ultimately, it is not an emergency. You can continue lukewarm salt water gargling and limit the usage of mouthwashes. If pain or this bad taste and odor continues, visit your nearby dentist.

Even if it was an infection, you would have had pain or lymph node swelling at least mildly. So, you will be fine.

Had an extraction and bone graft was placed over it. Is there any chance for dry socket?
Query: Hi doctor, I had an extraction of a molar in the morning, and a bone graft was placed over it. My surgeon placed a collagen plug over it to make the graft to stay in place. Can I have a blood clot below it? I am afraid of getting a dry socket. Last time, I had a dry socket, when I had a wisdom toot...  Read Full »
Dr. Gaurav Pandey
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, remove your fear present in your mind. A bone graft present with membrane prevents dry socket formation, and it makes a better environment to have socket healing. Bone graft is not fully utilized in the socket, as it a foreign material. Some amount of graft is re...  Read Full »

How can bad breath be stopped and prevented?
Query: Hello doctor, I am facing a problem with bad smell from mouth. I have faced this problem six to eight months before after my accident and I took heavy-dose antibiotics. I have shown to a dentist and I have cleared all my tooth problems. After that also, I am facing this bad smell. I am taking Omepr...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from halitosis and this requires a proper dental evaluation. If that is cleared then you might be having a gastroesophageal reflux disease. You need to be started on a combination of Rabeprazole and Domperidone once daily. Do Listerine gargl...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?
Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the tongue feels numb even after a day, then you may have a condition called paresthesia. It occurs when the injection injures the nerves. and such numbness can remain for a week or two, sometimes even for a month. But it will go away as the nerves heal slowly. Ta...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now