Q. I have bad taste in mouth after wisdom tooth removal. Is it infection or dry socket?

Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I got my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. I am not in much pain but I have a horrible taste in my mouth and my breath is horrible. I have brushed my teeth twice a day, I use a salt water rinse like 15 times a day. And I use an alcohol-free mouth wash. I cannot tell if I have an infection or a dry socket and I am freaking out. The sockets look like they still have the clot but it is white, not red.

#

Since you do not have pain or fever or any other major symptoms, there is nothing much to freak about.

Coming on to the bad taste and bad odor, it could be due to any deposits in the socket or anywhere else in the mouth. Even a dry mouth can cause it. But if you feel it is really extreme, you can visit your dentist who will irrigate the socket and also find out the reason after a clinical examination.

If it is a dry socket, by any chance, a sedative dressing will be given. Usually, dry socket gives these symptoms but along with severe pain by second to the third day of tooth removal.

Ultimately, it is not an emergency. You can continue lukewarm salt water gargling and limit the usage of mouthwashes. If pain or this bad taste and odor continues, visit your nearby dentist.

Even if it was an infection, you would have had pain or lymph node swelling at least mildly. So, you will be fine.

|