Q. My front tooth is cracked due to fall and the X-ray is fine. Will the cracked tooth fall off?

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer

Three days ago, I fell on my face and cracked my right front tooth right in the middle, horizontally. You cannot see the crack with your bare eyes, but if you shine a light from the back of my tooth, you will see it correctly. It goes from the right to the left, and it stops two millimeters before the next tooth. I was scared, so I asked many dentists before going to an actual appointment myself.

They said it was fine, that it is only on the outer layer. Then, I went to an actual dentist myself, and they did an X-ray test on it. Nothing appeared, and said I would be fine, but gave me no further details. I was still left wondering, is there any way the rest of the tooth will fall out eventually because it is very slightly sensitive to change in temperature.

#

It is one of the most common complaints in routine dental practice. The fracture (hairline crack) might be only in the superficial structure (more likely in enamel than in dentin) of the tooth and not in the pulp (since it does not hurt). It requires minimal attention, and no specific care is mandatory. You may use desensitizing gel (with potassium nitrate) for brushing and also for a massage before having hot, cold, sweet, and sour stuff. I hope it helps.

|