Q. For extramedullary lesion, does the patient need surgery?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 22, 2021

The patient is diagnosed to have partial agenesis of corpus callosum and colpocephaly. Also, there is late onset of seizures with nodular intradural extramedullary lesion seen at L1 body and L1-L2 disc level with significant conus and caudal compression or displacement to the left side. Homeopathy medicines being taken for this issue. Please guide us whether this patient needs to undergo surgery for the above are they can treat this through medical management.

#

• I do not think that the condition can be treated with medical management as the nodular growth measuring around 25 mm (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and causing pressure symptoms over the adjacent spinal cord.
  • It is possible that if not surgically corrected patient may lead to the paralysis of the lower half of the body.
  • I am not convinced with home medicines as there is only little data to support any effect on the nodular growth.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|