Q. For extramedullary lesion, does the patient need surgery?

Published on Jan 02, 2017

The patient is diagnosed to have partial agenesis of corpus callosum and colpocephaly. Also, there is late onset of seizures with nodular intradural extramedullary lesion seen at L1 body and L1-L2 disc level with significant conus and caudal compression or displacement to the left side. Homeopathy medicines being taken for this issue. Please guide us whether this patient needs to undergo surgery for the above are they can treat this through medical management.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• I do not think that the condition can be treated with medical management as the nodular growth measuring around 25 mm (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and causing pressure symptoms over the adjacent spinal cord.
  • It is possible that if not surgically corrected patient may lead to the paralysis of the lower half of the body.
  • I am not convinced with home medicines as there is only little data to support any effect on the nodular growth.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

How to manage unilateral paralysis of the diaphragm?

Query: Hi doctor, What health implications have been observed with a unilateral paralysis of the diaphragm? I have had a plication performed, but it failed and is back to the original issue. Currently, I am suffering from shortness of breath, chest pain with dizzy spells and increased heart rate. I am on P...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis is most commonly seen on the left side. The diaphragm is the most important muscle of ventilation. Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis is usually well tolerated if there is no underlying lung or rib cage pathology. But, if severe, then it...  Read Full

What could be the cause of headache after nine months of head injury?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who had a stroke from a blow injury (heavy fall and hit the back of her head) to the lower back of her head before nine months, is still having headaches on physical exertion, especially at work. She is a nurse and occasionally has to help move or lift patients, which always ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question with care and understood your concern. It means that whenever her abdominal pressure rises, she gets a headache. This is because the pressure inside the skull called intracranial pressure raises whenever her abdominal pressure rises. The intracr...  Read Full

I cannot move my eye outwards. Do you think it is sixth nerve palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, Last week, I started experiencing double vision. I went to the ER and was told that I need to see my eye doctor. The next day, I went to the eye doctor, and he did a field test. He told me a nerve was messed up in my eye due to diabetes. He said it could take a few months to heal and that...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you cannot move your eye outwards, you seem to have sixth nerve palsy (Abducent nerve). We need to investigate its cause and then contemplate a cure. The most common cause for 6th nerve palsy are as follows: Increase in intracranial pressure. Some space occupying le...  Read Full