Q. Why is there complete paralysis and difficulty in walking after an accident?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Mar 23, 2018

A recent accident happened to my father which makes him unable to walk. A week ago, he suddenly fell on the ground while walking and his right leg was injured. He was transferred to hospital and X-ray indicted his leg is not broken but severely ricked, as a result, it is not moving and will need time to recover. However, the problem is not the injured right leg but the left leg. His left leg is fully functional (i.e., he can move his knee and toes without any pain and numbness) in laying down and sitting position but once he stands up, he can not even rise up his left leg from the ground. Therefore, he is now completely paralyzed and unable to walk. What could be the reason?

Here are some details about his medical background. He is about 70 years old. He has been suffering from type 2 diabetes for over 20 years and three years ago was prescribed to use Insulin. Recently, his doctor told him that his blood sugar is under control. He experienced previous imbalance feeling and fell several times while walking in past. Basically, whenever he stood up, he would need an effort to gain his balance. His hands also have been shaking a bit. He had an open heart surgery 10 years ago. He had a back pain (even in laying down position) which went worse after the accident. He has lost a majority of his vision over the years due to glaucoma. His X-ray indicates no broken bone.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I read carefully your question and would explain that this clinical situation could be caused by a stroke, which is probably the cause of falling. Another possible cause would be a nerve damage related to the trauma. For this reason, it is important performing a brain CT (computed tomography) scan or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to investigate for a possible stroke. If this test result is normal, I would recommend performing a nerve conduction study to examine his nerves.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Is stroke with bleeding serious or without bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a stroke but I do not know how to explain it. Twice I was bleeding along with the stroke. One type of bleeding was chronic and the other one was acute. I would like to know which type of bleeding is dangerous? And also explain the reason for the same.  Read Full »

Tricep twitching after electric shock. Could it be nerve damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I received an electrical shock last night. The shock did not hurt, just felt it go up my arm and across my chest. I dropped the probe right when I felt it. No burn marks. Afterward, I was having sharp pains in my chest. I went to the ER, docs did EKG, took blood and urine, said everythi...  Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »