Q. What can I do to my disfigured eye to improve my appearance?

Answered by
Dr. Akshay U. Nayak
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 10, 2022

Hi doctor,

My right eye got damaged when I was a child, and it is getting distorted now. It is affecting my appearance. Is it advisable to replace it with an artificial eye?



Welcome to

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

If you find the eye disfigured and distorted, it can definitely be replaced with an artificial eye. It is not an easy procedure, but it can be rewarding. Firstly your current eye will be removed by a procedure known as enucleation. Then your orbit (where your eye lies) will be checked for size and shape to place an artificial eye and may need another surgery to form the orbit if space is found inadequate for an artificial eye. Then finally, an artificial eye will be placed in your orbit, provided your eye muscles are functioning perfectly normally (that you can check right now whether your right eye moves with your left eye). This is important to know so that your artificial eye can also move naturally. If in doubt, ask your eye doctor.

A shortcut method is to wear colored contact lenses so that your eye looks more presentable. It does not require surgery, and it is risk-free. Of course, results are not as good as the artificial eye but satisfactory. I suggest you try it before going for surgical option.

Kindly remember, no procedure can get back the vision; it is only a cosmetic procedure. Talk to an oculoplastic eye surgeon for the best advice.

Hi doctor,

Thanks for the reply.

If am planning for coloured contact lenses whether I have to wear it in both eyes. I think my eye distortion is pretty bad that wearing lense will not mask it. Kindly go through the photograph attached.



Welcome back to

I had gone through the photographs (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). From the photographs, it seems that the eye does not look so distorted. You have squint eyes. If squint is your issue, I suggest consulting a squint specialist to make sure your eyes become straight, and you may not need anything else.

Also, contact lenses will be worn only in the affected eye, provided the color matches the normal eye. But your eye color looks normal, and size also does not look so distorted. You can benefit from just a squint surgery. I suggest consulting a squint specialist as well. I hope you find the reply useful.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What would you recommend for amblyopic eyes?

.. explained everything very well. Whenever there is a difference in refractive status of more than 1 diopter between two eyes, there is a chance of amblyopia (lazy eye) when the brain starts ignoring the blurry eye. I think your eye doctor has done ...   Read full

My age is 26. I have crossed eyes/squint eyes. Suggest me any solution.

.. posting your query at We have to check whether your vision is equal in both the eyes. If the vision is equal in both the eyes and the problem is only with the Squint Eyes(Crossed eye/Strabismus), then it can be brought back to normal ...   Read full

My right eye is a little droopy. Is it permanent damage due to computer use?

.. eye seems to be dropped more than the right and it also appears normal. Normally, your eyelid covers two millimeters of the cornea. I suggest you follow some measures to manage your screen time. Work in a well-lit room. Your main light should focu...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»
Fallopian Tubes - Anatomy, Function, and Diseases Affecting It
Fallopian tubes are important structures of the female reproductive tract. This article discusses the same below.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.