Q. What can I do to my disfigured eye to improve my appearance?

Dr. Akshay U. Nayak

My right eye got damaged when I was a child, and it is getting distorted now. It is affecting my appearance. Is it advisable to replace it with an artificial eye?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

If you find the eye disfigured and distorted, it can definitely be replaced with an artificial eye. It is not an easy procedure, but it can be rewarding. Firstly your current eye will be removed by a procedure known as enucleation. Then your orbit (where your eye lies) will be checked for size and shape to place an artificial eye and may need another surgery to form the orbit if space is found inadequate for an artificial eye. Then finally, an artificial eye will be placed in your orbit, provided your eye muscles are functioning perfectly normally (that you can check right now whether your right eye moves with your left eye). This is important to know so that your artificial eye can also move naturally. If in doubt, ask your eye doctor.

A shortcut method is to wear colored contact lenses so that your eye looks more presentable. It does not require surgery, and it is risk-free. Of course, results are not as good as the artificial eye but satisfactory. I suggest you try it before going for surgical option.

Kindly remember, no procedure can get back the vision; it is only a cosmetic procedure. Talk to an oculoplastic eye surgeon for the best advice.

Thanks for the reply.

If am planning for coloured contact lenses whether I have to wear it in both eyes. I think my eye distortion is pretty bad that wearing lense will not mask it. Kindly go through the photograph attached.

#

I had gone through the photographs (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). From the photographs, it seems that the eye does not look so distorted. You have squint eyes. If squint is your issue, I suggest consulting a squint specialist to make sure your eyes become straight, and you may not need anything else.

Also, contact lenses will be worn only in the affected eye, provided the color matches the normal eye. But your eye color looks normal, and size also does not look so distorted. You can benefit from just a squint surgery. I suggest consulting a squint specialist as well. I hope you find the reply useful.

|