Q. Can numbing eye drops used during eye test cause severe eye pain?

Dr. Hussein Mohamed Sherif Ahmed Ayoub

I went to the eye doctor for eye inflammation due to the medication that I use. Due to ongoing conjunctivitis, I went back to the clinic more often, but they tell me to come back. I recently developed severe eye pain in both eyes. Can this be caused by too many eye numbing drops? The yellow eye numbing drops are put every week for the last 12 weeks when I go back for the exam. I had two eye exams last week.

#

Please explain your condition in detail so that I can help you. You say you have been going to the doctor because you have conjunctivitis caused by a medication you are on. What medication are you on and why? For how long have you been taking it? And how often? So you have been diagnosed already with conjunctivitis. Was that an allergic one?

Do you have severe eye pain in both eyes? Do you have any discharge coming off your eyesight? Do you get severe morning headaches?

We do not prescribe numbing eye drops. They cause keratitis. They are toxic for your cornea (the transparent layer in front of your eyes).

Do you have photophobia? In other words, do you feel discomfort when you look into the light?

Please send me a clear picture of both of your eyes separately in bright light. Do you feel itchy around your eyes?

Yes, I have allergic conjunctivitis from Dupixent. I am being treated at an eye clinic. Last week, I developed severe eye pain and needed to apply artificial tears nine times a day. I was a pit on a steroid eye drop today. I realized I have been to the eye clinic 12 times in the past 11 weeks, including twice last week. They use a yellow anesthetic to exam my eye every time. Can this anesthetic eye drop be overused and causing eye pain? Last week was the first time I felt stabbing pain after my last eye exam.

#

I am assuming that yellow eye drops are Benoxinate, as I was guessing. Benoxinate long term use can cause toxicity in the eyes. The first thing you will notice if you have this is photophobia, which is discomfort when looking at light.

I am on steroid eye drops six times in the past 12 weeks.

#

Stop all the eye drops you are taking. Next time when you go for an eye exam, check the intraocular pressure. For now, you will have to take treatment for the allergy.

I do not have eye discharge. Now my eye is painful, dry and I have ring infiltrates in one eye.

#

Do you have cornea ring infiltrates? Send me a picture. Steroid eye drops you are talking about are not much concern that is a very low dose.

Do I have a problem with too many eye exams and the yellow anesthetic drop every week?

#

Use antihistamine eye drops three times a day and antihistamine tablets once before sleep. If the condition is not improving, make them twice. Add another one as soon as you wake up. But watch out because it might make you a little bit sleepy. Use wetting, or artificial tears eye drops five times a day and Corner gel once before sleep.

If you have an infiltration or discharge yellowish, add antibiotic eye drops three times a day. Use the following medicines for a week and follow up. You will be better. It is an allergy, most probably. You need the proper medicines.

For me, steroids are the last resort if you do not improve. No, I assume it did not you a lot of harm to cause you severe pain. Please send me a picture if you can.

Do you think 12 visits in 11 weeks put my eye at risk of toxicity? I do have mild irritation looking at the light.

#

It might have caused a very low toxicity but should be fixed by eye drops I prescribed. Wetting eye drops help cornea heal. As I said Benoxinate eye drops causes cornea toxicity and should not be used regularly.

Follow up after a week.

Thank you for you kind help.

#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for furhter doubts.

|