Q. Does increased eye pressure result in glaucoma?

Answered by Dr. Asif Manzoor and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Eye Pressure or Glaucoma? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have a few questions about glaucoma. I recently had my yearly eye check-up, and my doctor told me that my eye pressure is slightly above average. I know that having a high eye pressure can cause glaucoma, and it leads to permanent blindness. I do not have any pain in the eye, and also there is no family history of glaucoma. So my question is, how do I know if I have glaucoma, and what are the chances of actually getting diagnosed with glaucoma?

Is there any home treatments I can do to reduce my chances of getting glaucoma? Any eye drops I can use or any pills or vitamins I can take? My doctor said that just because my eye pressure is slightly above average, it does not mean I have glaucoma. My doctor also said there is nothing to worry about, but I need a second opinion.