Q. Does increased eye pressure result in glaucoma?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

I have a few questions about glaucoma. I recently had my yearly eye check-up, and my doctor told me that my eye pressure is slightly above average. I know that having a high eye pressure can cause glaucoma, and it leads to permanent blindness. I do not have any pain in the eye, and also there is no family history of glaucoma. So my question is, how do I know if I have glaucoma, and what are the chances of actually getting diagnosed with glaucoma?

Is there any home treatments I can do to reduce my chances of getting glaucoma? Any eye drops I can use or any pills or vitamins I can take? My doctor said that just because my eye pressure is slightly above average, it does not mean I have glaucoma. My doctor also said there is nothing to worry about, but I need a second opinion.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Over the years, glaucoma definition has changed. Glaucoma is damage to the optic nerve with visual field defects, and intraocular pressure (IOP) is one of the risk factors. Only with high IOP, we cannot label that someone has glaucoma. Because some people have IOP more elevated than normal but still that is not damaging (called ocular hypertension), and some people have normal IOP, and that is damaging for them, so that is labeled as normal tension glaucoma. So IOP only is not determining factor to label glaucoma other important factors are there.

Glaucoma evaluation needs some tests like visual fields and OCT (optical coherence tomography) and optic disc. After seeing all test, diagnosis of glaucoma is labeled. Complete eye exam and analyses are needed for diagnosing. Pain is a feature of one type of glaucoma that is angle closure, and most of the patients of glaucoma would never have pain and will be diagnosed accidentally or through routine eye exam or with decreased vision.

No medication is needed until the diagnosis of glaucoma is made. Risk of glaucoma is still there even if family history is negative. Especially after 40 years of age, people having glasses (myopes or hypermetropia) are at risk. So I would advise you not to worry and let your doctor decide. If he or she thinks you need some tests, they will advise you and then determine whether you have glaucoma or not. Otherwise, relax and enjoy. You are welcome for any queries.

| 

Is it necessary to use four eye drops to control eye pressure?

Query: Hi doctor, Four eye drops are used in combination to control eye pressure in case of glaucoma. They are Dorzolamide, Timolol, Brimonidine and Xalatan. In what sequence with how much gap should they be given to control eye pressure? Also for controlling afternoon pressure, either Dorzolamide or Brimo...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to try minimally invasive glaucoma surgery to treat glaucoma?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom is a glaucoma patient for the last 10 years. She has been on medications like eye drops including Azopt, Ganfort, Alphagan, Vigamox, and prior to them Cosopt (which did not suit her). She has gone through retina eye laser and also has been injected in both her eyes almost 22 tim...  Read Full »

Diagnosed with Glaucoma: What Next?

Article Overview: Glaucoma is an eye condition that is caused by fluid-build up and increased pressure in the eye, leading to progressive vision loss. Read Article

Dr. Shikha
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is a chronic, progressive disease. It poses a diagnostic dilemma for ophthalmologists and the patients get frustrated because it is often diagnosed at the advanced stage and they are unaware that they even have a disease. As there are no symptoms initially, they are unsure if they should co...  Read Article