Q. Should the purple splotches around my eyes worry me?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2022

The last night I felt sick, and it made me throw up hard, and I felt too much pressure in my eyes. When I looked in the mirror, all around my eyes were black, as if blood veins were ruptured with purple splotches. Should I be worried? Do I need to visit an ophthalmologist? Does it need special care, or will it go away itself? I appreciate it if you let me know your opinion about my concern.

#

I think you have nothing to worry about as far as you see. But, vomiting so violently that veins around your eyes have ruptured is a thing to worry about. Firstly, I think you could have ruptured your food pipe in the process, and let me tell you, that would have been very serious. First of all, get that checked. Though it is not related to your query, it is my duty to give you a genuine opinion as a doctor. Secondly, vomiting so violently increases the pressure inside your eyes and can also rupture veins in your retina. But it will immediately dim your vision. So, until you see well, you have nothing to worry about. Are you sure you did not have any head injury because that might be why veins rupture like this? Please do follow up with a general surgeon too.

|