Q. I have right eye swelling and constant watering from the eye. Why?

Dr. Ammar Zahid Malik
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I have a right eye swelling, under the eye and now over the eye, and constant watering in the eye. I applied TobraDex ointment at night time for the past three nights, and I have been taking Augmentin tablets for the past three days, no change in the condition. Under-eye skin is getting itchy. I applied some vaseline that seemed to help a bit, but the swelling is not going away.

#

Thanks for asking.

From the photographs (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), it seems like preseptal cellulitis may be secondary to blepharitis or some insect bite.

1.Lid hygiene.
2. Warm compresses on lids that will help in resolving swelling.
3.Continue using Co-Amoxiclav (capsule Augmentin) 1 gm for 7 days.
4. Use tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg three times daily for 7 days.
5. Tobramycin eye drops 4 times daily
6. Polyfax (Polymyxin B Sulphate and Bacitracin Zinc) eye ointment 3 to 4 times daily on eyelashes and the surrounding skin.

Follow-up after 7 days.

Thank you for your response.

Polyfax is not available in my country, and they are out of stock of Tobramycin. The pharmacist sent over lubricant eye drops and drops called "Naphcon-A". Is that safe to use?

#

Naphcon-A is a decongestant used to treat allergic conditions. In case if Polyfax is not available, use ointment with an antibiotic and steroid combination TobraDex (Tobramycin and Dexamethasone) eye ointment or Blephamide (Sulfacetamide Sodium and Prednisolone Acetate) eye ointment.

|