Q. Are my symptoms due to meibomian gland disorder or blepharitis?

Dr. Zubair A Shaikh

I have been suffering from an eye problem since the last 18 months or so. Initially, I was diagnosed with dry eyes and was suggested warm compress lifelong along with few eye drops and antibiotic. I have checked with almost six doctors locally out of which few say it is meibomian gland disorder, while the other says it is blepharitis and other doctors say it is allergy.

My symptoms are:

• Severe lower eyelid swelling, especially the right eye.
  • Eyelashes itching.
  • Watery eyes.
  • Slight reddishness.

I am really confused whether I should go with the warm thing or the cold. Personally, if you ask me, I am really depressed. I have taken almost all the medications starting from Systane ultra, FML, Pathaday, Zylopred, Cholochol-H, Restasis, Betoact, Mobegram, and in oral medication Osmega 300, Doxy, Cetirizine. Please advise what exactly it is.

#

I have seen the pictures you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the description of your problem and the photos, I agree with all the diagnosis which has been given to you. Actually, they are all interrelated. I also want to assure you that this is not dangerous, but at the same time it is very difficult to treat completely, due to the pollution, etc.

I suggest that you stop all medications and just continue Restasis (Cyclosporin ophthalmic emulsion). Along with this, just keep lid hygiene by cleaning your eyelids with a baby shampoo or any available eyelid cleaning solution, on a regular basis. Avoid eating too much fried or oily food. Also, if you need to use prescription eyeglasses, you should use them.

This will take time, but eventually, it will help you.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Any alternative to Restasis? And, what about the warm or cold compress?

#

Any ocular lubricant will do, whichever suits you.

A warm compress is better.

| 

Burning Sensation, Redness or Itchiness In Eyes? It May be Blepharitis

Article Overview: Did you know that burning sensation in the eyelid results from a condition called blepharitis? Learn more about it in this article. Read Article

Dr. Abhishek Onkar
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

What Is Bleharitis? Blepharitis is a very common eye-lid disease affecting all and the sundry, but primarily affecting the children. In ophthalmic jargon, it is defined as the inflammation of eye-lids. It leads to following symptoms in varying combinations: Flakes/crusting on eyelashes Burning ...  Read Article

I got conjunctivitis 7 days back.I had red eye with eyelid swelling.Now redness is gone but blurring is present.What do I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I got conjunctivitis 7 days back. I had red eye with eyelid swelling.  I used Moxifloxacin hydrochloride from the very first day, every 2 hours. Then I started Fluorometholone 4 times a day and Cyclosporine 3 times a day. And now from 2 days I got blurred eye. Redness is gone...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»