Q. Are my symptoms due to meibomian gland disorder or blepharitis?

Dr. Zubair A. Shaikh
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 10, 2022

I have been suffering from an eye problem since the last 18 months or so. Initially, I was diagnosed with dry eyes and was suggested warm compress lifelong along with few eye drops and antibiotic. I have checked with almost six doctors locally out of which few say it is meibomian gland disorder, while the other says it is blepharitis and other doctors say it is allergy.

My symptoms are:

• Severe lower eyelid swelling, especially the right eye.
  • Eyelashes itching.
  • Watery eyes.
  • Slight reddishness.

I am really confused whether I should go with the warm thing or the cold. Personally, if you ask me, I am really depressed. I have taken almost all the medications starting from Systane ultra, FML, Pathaday, Zylopred, Cholochol-H, Restasis, Betoact, Mobegram, and in oral medication Osmega 300, Doxy, Cetirizine.

Please advise what exactly it is.

#

I have seen the pictures you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the description of your problem and the photos, I agree with all the diagnosis which has been given to you. Actually, they are all interrelated. I also want to assure you that this is not dangerous, but at the same time it is very difficult to treat completely, due to the pollution, etc.

I suggest that you stop all medications and just continue Restasis (Cyclosporin ophthalmic emulsion). Along with this, just keep lid hygiene by cleaning your eyelids with a baby shampoo or any available eyelid cleaning solution, on a regular basis. Avoid eating too much fried or oily food. Also, if you need to use prescription eyeglasses, you should use them.

This will take time, but eventually, it will help you.

Any alternative to Restasis? And, what about the warm or cold compress?

#

Any ocular lubricant will do, whichever suits you.

A warm compress is better.

|