Q. I have three boils under my eyelid. What could it be?

Dr. Dada Peer K
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 22, 2014 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

Dear doctor,

I had a small stiff boil in the middle of my eyelid for months. Then it disappeared and another one appeared in the outer corner of the same eye (right eye) and kept getting bigger and smaller and still has not disappeared.

Then, about six months later, when I blinked it hurt, and I felt another boil under my eyelid and when I looked it was full of pus and I did not disturb it. The next day when I woke up, my whole eyelid was swollen and hurt really bad. But the pain went down in three hours or so. I then realized that another boil was inside my eyelid. The boil burst by itself though and now I have three boils in my eyelid and the third one is in the inner corner of my eye. Is this serious?

#

Your history indicates recurrent inflammatory swellings of the glands of the eyelids in the form of hordeolum/stye (focal infection of the glands of the eyelid).

Since these swellings are recurrent and multiple, you require evaluation to treat the underlying predisposing factors. However, no need to worry as this is not a serious condition.

The treatment for hordeolum is the use of antibiotic eye drops or eye ointments and anti-inflammatory drugs. Applying hot compression provides symptomatic relief.

The common problems that need to be ruled out are refractive errors, blepharitis (chronic inflammation of the eyelid) and systemic conditions like diabetes.

Consult an eye care ophthalmologist online regarding further investigations --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|