Hordeolum

What should I do to help my swollen eyelids?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 21-year-old female. My eyelid is swollen for the last two days. I feel like there is a tender bump with slight pain when touched. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I looked at the photograph you attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like an inflammation of the eyelid called a hordeolum, which might be an internum or externum. It is difficult to say which type unless I have a magnified examina...  Read Full »

What causes watering of the eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, My left eye is watering continuously, not sure if it is dust or eyelash hair that is in. It is troubling me a lot since yesterday morning.   Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I had a look at the photo you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a bit blurry, and unfortunately, if there is a foreign body or an eyelash embedded under the upper eyelid, it will not be visible in the photo. Is...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain while moving my left eye?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 18 years old. I have slight eye pain when I move my left eye only, and it feels like there something in behind; my eyes are not too red. Last week at five o clock, I cannot control my left eye when I woke up. It feels like something preventing my eye. After 5 to 10 minutes, it came ba...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear about your issue. I did not quite understand what you mean by you could not control the eye. Do you mean the movement of the eye? Do you have any history of a stuffy nose, blocked nose, or sinusitis? Is the eye red now? Is i...  Read Full »

What can be the cause of pain in the corner of the eye with itching?

Query: I have eye pain for three days now. The pain is mainly felt on the inner corner of my right eye. I feel pain whenever I blink. It is also itchy at times.  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. According to the photograph it looks like an inflammation of the eyelid, what is called a Hordeolum which might be an internum or externum. You can try using a hot compress with warm water and cotton three times daily along with antibiotic eye drops like Moxifloxacin ev...  Read Full »

How to manage a dry eye and an inflamed eyelid?

Query: Hi doctor, A while ago, I got a kind of twinge in the corner of my eye. Just now, I pulled my eyelid to check my eye, and I saw a thick bulge. I woke up in the morning with an extremely dry eye, which I never had before.  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing in. I had a look at the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it appears to be a hordeolum internum from the unmagnified view. It is an inflammation of the meibomian glands situated in the eyelid. If it has only now begun, the...  Read Full »

What could be the pimple that causes eye irritation and pain with discharge?

Query: Hello doctor, May I please consult on behalf of my senior citizen mother who has been suffering from eye irritation for the past four days. She tells me that last month, a pimple-like thing grew in the lower portion of her left eye. After about three days, a yellowish substance was expelled therefr...  Read Full »

Dr. Angeline Bonne Pati Regadio

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your mother’s signs and symptoms, she may be suffering from hordeolum, it is an acute infection caused by bacteria. It can recur. It is more common in adults. It is usually self-limited and can improve in one or two weeks. Medical therapy for hor...  Read Full »

How to treat swelling in the lower eyelid?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a swelling in the left lower eyelid as can be seen in the picture before four days. It is painful and the eye turned red. Since yesterday, I have been using Ciprofloxacin eye drops, but there is no relief. I got similar problem in my right lower eyelid a year back. Since, two months...  Read Full »

Dr. Anand

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures of your eyes (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is called an internal hordeolum, a kind of bacterial infection leading to an abscess. It is common in oily skin people. Hordeolum will not resolve with eye drops alone. I ...  Read Full »

I have swelling in the upper eyelid with no itching or watering. What could it be?

Query: ​Hi doctor, I have sharp pain in the right eye since yesterday evening. Also, I wore a fresh pair contact lens last evening. And I did not wear a contact lens for almost two months. The pain started two hours after wearing contact lens and I went to a marriage function and there were many people ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dada Peer K

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your history and the photo attached to the question. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems like inflammatory swelling of the upper eyelid, most commonly in the form of hordeolum. I would like to treat this condition by the use of ant...  Read Full »

I Have Boils Inside The Eyelid That Are Full Of Pus. Is This Serious?

Query: Dear doctor, I had a small stiff boil in the middle of my eyelid for months. Then it disappeared and another one appeared in the outer corner of the same eye (right eye) and kept getting bigger and smaller and still has not disappeared. Then, about six months later, when I blinked it hurt, and I f...  Read Full »

Dr. Dada Peer K

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history indicates recurrent inflammatory swellings of the glands of the eyelids in the form of hordeolum/stye (focal infection of the glands of the eyelid). Since these swellings are recurrent and multiple, you require evaluation to treat the underlying predisposi...  Read Full »