Q. I am unable to move the left side of my face properly since yesterday. Please help.

Dr. Ardit Tela
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

I have not been able to move the left side of my face properly since yesterday morning. I went to the doctor yesterday, and he said if it did not improve to come back, but I can not get back into the doctor. I have pain under my jaw and now feeling in my tongue on that side of my face either.

#

I have read your question carefully, and I understand your concern.

1. Do you have difficulties also in closing your left eye or raising your left eyebrow

2. Did your taste change?

3. Did your doctor prescribe any medication?

4. What was your doctor's opinion yesterday, since he surely did a physical exam? Did he also check your ears?

5. Do you have other symptoms or is just the face involved?

In general, if the answer for the first two questions is yes (not smiling properly, difficulty closing the left eye and raising the left eyebrow, if you chew food on the left side, you notice the taste is changed) and the symptoms are confined just to your left side of the face, I suspect a peripheral facial nerve palsy. The management plan that you should discuss face to face with your doctor,

1. Corticosteroid treatment within 72 hours of symptoms onset. After 72 hours, I do not recommend (like Prednisolon 50 mg per day for five days, then reducing the dose gradually over five days in total 10 days of corticosteroid therapy).

2. Artificial tears during the day and eye protection during the night.

3. Nerve conduction studies after 10-14 days.

4. Physical therapy (your doctor might give you a leaflet with appropriate exercises, or you could search on youtube for Bell's palsy exercises.

I hope my answer was helpful. Feel free to contact me again if you have further questions or concerns.

|