Q. Why am I having right ear fullness and background noise?

Dr. Alok Rathi
Published on Oct 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 06, 2019

I am having right ear fullness and it started several days ago. Last night I awoke due to a pulsating pain in my right ear. I hear some background noise and in silent environment, it is most evident. Is that fine? I had Bell's palsy 2.5 months ago on the left side and again, a month ago on the right. Both are very mild cases. I had an MRI 2.5 months ago and that was normal.

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• You are having sensorineural hearing loss. It is in early stage and mild. So, you are having pulsation in the ear.
  • Another important thing is bilateral Bell's palsy. It is not common.
  • Having facial palsy is not good and the developing sensorineural component suggests that you may have problem in the brain. The most common reason is a lesion in CP angle (cerebellopontine angle) and it may be acoustic neuroma or vascular lesion.
  • Now, the above assumption is based on the diagnosis of sensorineural hearing loss. It has to be confirmed by pure tone audiogram and if needed special tests of hearing.
  • If your MRI was contrast enhanced and normal, then you have to go other tests to rule out other set of etiologies for bilateral Bell's palsy
  • I suggest you to get ear examined and hearing tests done. You may consider to check with neurologist after that.
  • The list of differential diagnosis includes multiple sclerosis, rubella, sarcoidosis, Guillian Barre syndrome, infectious mononucleosis, lymphoma and leptospirosis.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I thought with the normal MRI I would be good. I suffer from anxiety and stress and my GP said most of this is related to that. Also, he said the right side issue is due to Bell's palsy and left side was viral. Three months back, I had a bad flu like virus attack and was treated with antiviral medicine and Prednisone. Do you believe it as lesion related?

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• I hope your GP or ENT specialist must have got blood tests along with MRI to look for the cause of facial palsy. If those tests were normal, then relax. You do not have anything to worry.
  • If not, then please get routine blood investigations. All the above diseases I mentioned can be picked up in basic blood tests.
  • The only test you definitely need to get it now is hearing test to rule out any sensorineural component.
  • There are so many causes for abnormal sounds in the ear. But, recent history of facial palsy was worrying If both are not of same etiology, then do not worry. You will be fine.

Could you please explain MRI brain and CSF studies related to NPH?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you please give the diagnosis of the uploaded MRI brain and CSF studies with a detailed report? Please advise on the action plan as to how to get the CSF findings treated. The MRI report is enclosed. Does the enclosed report co-relate with your findings? The MRI report CSF studies r...  Read Full »

I have multiple sclerosis. Can I get artificial valve for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hi doctor, I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am a 37 year old male. My weight is 165 pounds and height is 6 feet. My neurologist is treating my MS with two rounds of Rituximab infusions (low dose chemotherapy) every six months and a twice-daily dose of an Ampyra capsule. I also take...  Read Full »