Q. Am I getting vibration sensation in feet because of low vitamin B12?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Nov 18, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2019

For the past one month I have been experiencing a feeling of something vibrating under my left foot. The feeling goes away when I walk, run or even rub my foot with any object. I find this quite distressing and I have been finding it very difficult to fall asleep.

Two years back I was treated for severe pricking pain all over my body and a few other symptoms, one of which a rhythmic vibration, but then it was on the top of my foot but now the feeling is present at the bottom and the vibration is much less rhythmic. I was prescribed Pregabalin for a month. I was diagnozed with low levels of B12 and prescribed a daily 1000 mcg B12 supplement. I got a blood test done recently and B12 levels were normal. I am concerned about this new development as it affects my daily life. Please help me find a solution.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I have read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to peripheral neuropathy, probably caused by low B12 levels. Anyway, a pinched nerve cannot be excluded. For this reason, I recommend performing nerve conduction studies in order to investigate for possible neuropathy or a pinched nerve (tarsal tunnel syndrome).

Thank you for your response. Two years back a blood test showed high levels of uric acid. Could this be a cause?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Yes, it can also influence in all this clinical situation. For this reason I recommend checking uric acid levels again and discussing with your doctor on the possible treatment options.

How to correct vitamin B12 deficiency?

Query: Hi doctor, I had vitamin B12 deficiency. My doctor advised me to have 10 injections. Now, my vitamin B12 is more than 2000. What should I do?  Read Full »

What can be done for numb and swollen feet and legs?

Query: Hello doctor, I am contacting you on behalf of my grandmother who is suffering from a number of issues and advice from her regular doctors is not coming up with a decent solution. I have asked her to write down from her point of view about the problems and here it is. Ailments are diabetic, chronic...  Read Full »

What are the causes of vitamin B12 deficiency in a non-vegetarian?

Query: Hi doctor, I have vitamin B12 deficiency, even though I eat a lot of non-vegetarian food. A doctor prescribed me New Nervijen plus capsule. Is it safe to use?  Read Full »