Q. Kindly suggest what can be done when a person fainted and bumped her head.

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I need advice about a person who just fainted and bumped her head hard on concrete. Should she go to the emergency room?

Do you have a question on Fainting or Blood Pressure?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

MBBS., MD NEUROLOGY., MOVEMENT DISORDERS FELLOWSHIP
Neurology

I would like to know her age, other medical conditions, and present medicines. Fainting needs to be evaluated as it can recur and cause serious problems. If she is still feeling unwell, or having giddiness (a tendency to fall), or lost consciousness, you should get her to the emergency room.

In the emergency room, they will be able to check your blood pressure, heart rate, and basic blood tests. If you are back to normal, then you can meet your primary care physician in the clinic at the earliest. You can also call your primary care physician office to check with them as they will be aware of your previous medical issues and current medicines. I hope this helps.

She is on 20 mg Lisinopril daily. She had some alcohol and was walking to her bed when she fainted. She is not nauseated, she is alert. No confusion. I do not think I can get her to a car. What symptoms should I look for to indicate that she could be in danger?

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

Neurology

Signs of danger include headache, nausea, vomiting, vertigo (spinning sensation), slurred speech. Keep her well hydrated and give some fruit juice. If she becomes drowsy or faints again or develop any of the symptoms I mentioned above, I will recommend going to the emergency room.

Also Read Answers From: Fainting Blood Pressure Blood Tests

My son has periods of dizziness and fainting since one month. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, My 13 year old son has periods of dizziness (around one minute or less) and fainting since one month. He also has wheezing and coughing since seven months.  Read Full »
Dr. Sandhya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would like to let you know that the dizziness your son is undergoing could be due to a number of reasons. I would like to brief on the concern. Anemia, resulting from decreased hemoglobin. Seizure, assuming your son has no previous history of seizure...  Read Full »

What is the cause of blacking out and feeling light-headed?
Query: Hi doctor,I am an 18 year old girl and recently I have had trouble with conscious blacking out. The first time it happened was this month and I have not had any trouble until a few days ago where it happened three to four times in one day. I will be standing or just walking around and start to ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is fainting. I need to know some more information regarding the symptom like: has it followed some kind of stress, dehydration, prolonged standing especially in hot weather, panic, fear or pain? Because it is common for fainting to follow all these events, and ...  Read Full »

Should I get a bone marrow biopsy to rule out possible MPN?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49-year-old female who has chronic health problems going back for awhile. Originally, I was told I had lupus but now I am beginning to think it is something else. Nine months back, I consulted an orthopedic surgeon due to suspected necrosis in left hip, after an arthrogram was don...  Read Full »
Dr. Matías

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked your blood tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read your complaints about your health. Apparently, you have a rheumatic disease. It does not seem to be lupus or rheumatoid arthritis at first sight according to the laboratory repo...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now