Q. I run out of breath while taking stairs. What is going on?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

I have been diagnosed with hypertension and tachycardia. Every time I walk up the stairs or walk I feel like I am running out of breath. I could hear my heart throbbing in my right ear. It started four months back. I am obsessed also. Please let me know what is going on. Currently, I am taking Amlodipine and Metoprolol.

#

I suggest you some blood tests and free T4, T3, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), Hb % (hemoglobin), FBS (fasting blood sugar) and Holter monitoring to evaluate your maximum and minimum heart rate and to identify any other abnormalities. Control your BP adequately and continue Metoprolol and dose to adjust based on BP.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Free T4, T3, TSH came back normal. I do not know what is Hb % and FBS and Holter are. Can you specify? I have been checking my blood pressure on a portable blood pressure machine. I do not have insurance to see the cardiologist. My doctor wanted to refer me to one, but I cannot due to that purpose. Can you give me quest diagnostic test to take? Can I follow up with you?

#

Holter monitoring is 24 hours continuous cardiac monitoring. It evaluates maximum or minimum heart rate, heart rhythm, any abnormalities. It may give some idea about your tachycardia. You have not mentioned about BP recording and dose of Metoprolol you are taking.

You can follow up with me but in these type of problems, you need physical examination by your local doctor. You have said you feel out of breath while going upstairs or walk down. Echocardiography will help to evaluate overall cardiac function. Do you suffer from stress or anxiety? Hb % help to identify anemia which also may cause shortness of breath. If you suffer from lung problems there also may be a problem of this kind. You are very young, you need to evaluate properly.

|