Q. I run out of breath while taking stairs. What is going on?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

I have been diagnosed with hypertension and tachycardia. Every time I walk up the stairs or walk I feel like I am running out of breath. I could hear my heart throbbing in my right ear. It started four months back. I am obsessed also. Please let me know what is going on. Currently, I am taking Amlodipine and Metoprolol.

#

I suggest you some blood tests and free T4, T3, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), Hb % (hemoglobin), FBS (fasting blood sugar) and Holter monitoring to evaluate your maximum and minimum heart rate and to identify any other abnormalities. Control your BP adequately and continue Metoprolol and dose to adjust based on BP.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Free T4, T3, TSH came back normal. I do not know what is Hb % and FBS and Holter are. Can you specify? I have been checking my blood pressure on a portable blood pressure machine. I do not have insurance to see the cardiologist. My doctor wanted to refer me to one, but I cannot due to that purpose. Can you give me quest diagnostic test to take? Can I follow up with you?

#

Holter monitoring is 24 hours continuous cardiac monitoring. It evaluates maximum or minimum heart rate, heart rhythm, any abnormalities. It may give some idea about your tachycardia. You have not mentioned about BP recording and dose of Metoprolol you are taking.

You can follow up with me but in these type of problems, you need physical examination by your local doctor. You have said you feel out of breath while going upstairs or walk down. Echocardiography will help to evaluate overall cardiac function. Do you suffer from stress or anxiety? Hb % help to identify anemia which also may cause shortness of breath. If you suffer from lung problems there also may be a problem of this kind. You are very young, you need to evaluate properly.

| 

Hypertension and Skipping Anti-Hypertensive Pills - A Small Step Towards a Big Mistake

Article Overview: This article tells about the misconceptions prevalent among people against having anti-hypertensive pills.  Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Blood Pressure and Symptoms - A Gist : Blood pressure is basically the pressure faced by the walls of the blood vessels when the blood is ejected from the heart with a level of force. Under normal circumstances this force is essential for the blood to circulate well in the body. Raised blood pressur...  Read Article

Hypertension - How Aware Are You?

Article Overview: This simple quiz tests your knowledge and teaches you hypertension facts. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Please check the answer key and get to know how much you know about hypertension based on your score. 0-3: You need to learn more 3-6: A little more knowledge is good for health > 6: Keep updating yourself Question 1: Hypertensive patients should avoid exercise a) True b) False Answer:...  Read Article

Are heart palpitations, tachycardia and shortness of breath due to mitral valve stenosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from heart palpitations (especially when I lie down or do some physical activity), shortness of breath, tachycardia for the past three months. I am taking Propranolol (20 mg per day) for this. Propranolol is controlling trachycardia a bit. In stress my condition worsens...  Read Full »