Q. Kindly advise how to manage high fasting blood sugar level?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Mar 15, 2019

My wife (55 years) got sugar results fasting 172, and pp 136. What can be the explanation (higher fasting value)? What treatment course to be followed?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query about your wife and it seems that she has an impaired fasting blood sugar and that she must have her HbA1c checked to be sure whether she has a need to take medications for diabetes or not. In the meantime try to take a low carbohydrate and low-fat diet. Exercise by way of walking for 30 minutes daily. Impaired fasting glucose means that she can develop diabetes in the near future if she is not already diabetic.

Is diabetes medicine needed if HbA1c is 7.5?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full »

How can high blood sugar be treated in someone who has chronic diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has an 18-year history of type 2 diabetes mainly due to stress. HbA1c is 11 and fasting blood sugar level is 247 with G.M.SR 2. Her ESR is 40. She is suffering from frequent body aches these days especially in shoulders. In the past, she has taken Glimestar. P...  Read Full »

Is HbA1c test more reliable than a blood sugar test taken at home?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 35-year-old female. Is HbA1c test at a primary physician's lab reliable? I recently got my annual physical and lab tests done at a new primary physician's office (practicing since five years). The results show I have a glucose of 109 mg/dL and hemoglobin A1c of 6.8 %. My TSH is 5...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now